Sunday, March 1, 2020

Visited Orange and Corona Del Mar in Southern California

I visited my cousin's place in Orange where they used to have horses. My cousin told the story of being knocked unconscious and dragged by the last horse he owned and has amnesia around what happened which was interesting. The horse had a nerve in his hip that would go off and drive him insane. But, it would cost 18,000 dollars to fix the horse so at that point after almost killing my cousin the horse was put down so he wouldn't kill anyone when his hip nerve went off with a saddle on him when he would just run and never stop and throw riders without warning. The horse had also kicked him in the head he said.

But, being from tough stock like the rest of my family he recovered and went back to his Law practice within a few days. He says maybe when he is 80 he will retire. We swam in his pool and went to his daughter's church and listened to his grandson play the guitar this morning in church before we headed north once again.

We also went to Corona Del Mar yesterday which was extremely beautiful and very rich as the houses overlooking the ocean there start at about 5 million dollars and go up. My cousin and his wife and my wife and I used to sail in his boat out the jetty right next to the main beach there so this brought back many memories.

I think he eventually moved his 25 foot sailboat (I think it was a Catalina 25) to Long Beach Harbor because there is a breakwater there so less people he took sailing would get seasick like people often do in the open sea with rollers of 3 to 5 feet or more. We sailed many times there as well between Long Beach and the Queen Mary. Lots of people like to surf sail I think it might be called now with a board that reminds me more of a snowboard than anything else and a parasail to fly out to sea on at about sometimes 15 to 20 miles per hour which is amazing to watch there in Long Beach Harbor.
Here are some images from Good images of Catalina 25s which just means it is 25 feet long. People often take boats this size and sail to Catalina island which is about 26 miles from the mainland out to sea and moor the boat in Avalon Harbor there on the lee side of the island. I think the boat sleeps 4 to 6 people and has a head, sink, shower and cooking facilities.

No comments: