Saturday, October 30, 2021

My father was an Electrical Contractor and taught me the trade from ages 12 to 18 summers and weekends

So, I tend to know tons more than most people know about electricity from this. My father also believed his prostate Cancer was from working on the Encina Power plant when they built it in the late 1970s in Carlsbad, California near San Diego on the Ocean there. He mentioned the 50,000 plus volt lines that ran above his place where he worked on elecric motors of various kinds to rebuild motors and tools for other electricians to use in the last years before he retired from the IBEW Union (International Brotherhood of Electrical workers). when he retired in 1980 he was making at least 30 dollars an hour which was a really good wage plus benefits and retirement income.

The point I'm trying to make here is I have read studies especially done on the Prius as well as other hybrids and electric vehicles. I also have shared this information with friends and relatives.

And I get different reactions from different people. If people are over 50 or 60 they will say: "I'm driving an electric vehicle (or group of hybrids and electric vehicles) so my children and grandchildren don't have to pay so much for gasoline to drive. If this shortens my life to drive electrics and hybrids then I feel I have done something to help my children and mankind in my sacrifice."

This is one reaction:

Another reaction is not to believe me when I tell them of the potential harm to their children who will be riding in a hybrid or electric vehicles as they grow up a lot.

However, because I have been shocked by 110 volts and 220 volts hundreds of times when I had to work "hot" on circuits in homes and businesses because people were using those circuits and didn't want them turned off I know what electricity can do on many different levels. 

So, my choice is I feel I have been exposed to too much electricity in various forms already as an electrician so I choose not to drive a hybrid or electric vehicle for as long as possible.

That's not to say that I won't have an electric or hybrid that drives my car or truck for me within 10 years if that is available then. It's just that until the interior of all electric cars or hybrid cars have lead lining or other kinds of radiation shielding or until I buy a car and buy shielding and install it myself I won't own one of these vehicles because I don't consider them safe radiation wise.

The problem in a hybrid is actually the worse because you are exposed to radiation from the electricity being generated by the gas engine and then you are exposed again to radiation when you use the power to the electric motors as well.

So, in some ways hybrids are twice as dangerous as most electric cars because of this.

No comments: