Tuesday, August 4, 2026

My experiences with Fasting began between about 12 and 17 years old so starting in 1960 when I was 12

There was the Glendale Freeway being built near where we lived West of Brand Blvd. Then in Glendale California. The freeway might be called something else now but connects the Ventura Freeway to Pasadena and 210 Freeway which heads out towards San Bernadino. I find if I want to go from 101 or 5 to Orange County to visit my Cousin there is much less traffic up against the mountains on 210 to get there from 101 or Interstate 5 heading south from the SF Bay area.

So, the reason I'm bringing up this freeway is that it was being built when I was about 12 years old but no cars drove on it yet. So, I rode my bike to where it was and later my cars and jogged several miles along the freeway because no cars went on it yet so it was blocked off from all traffic. I jogged because I felt much better when I did this and I usually jogged at night when it was cooler too especially in the summers then. However, it is also true that I moved away from Glendale for the last time in 1969 when I was 21 years old too.

The point here is that I jogged and was into eating good and being healthy and strong so I jogged to keep fit and well. But, my father told me of the advantages of Fasting so I started to try different methods of Fasting then too. One of the things my father believed in was Watermelon Fasting because he found that a watermelon (organic) fast of 30 days will totally clean plaque out of your arteries and veins from eating Steer and Pig meat. At that time this was the major cause of heart attacks in Building Contractors and we knew a lot about Contractors because my father was an Electrical Contractor and from 12 to 17 I worked part time with him in his Electrical Contracting Business weekends and summers mostly and even went on the 4-4 plan for young men learning a trade in High School. So, even though my parents wanted me to go to college and I was sort of neutral about it at the time my father wanted me to learn his trade so I had as many good trades to make a living with as possible in case there was another Great Depression where building contractors and Tradesmen always had jobs and white collar workers starved and died a lot unless their parents owned the business. So, nepotism of White Collar businesses is the only way really young men survived the great depression and likely the same for young women too.

So, fasting I found I liked if it was only 1 to 4 days because I often would get a headache after 7 days of only water fasting. Though you felt sort of spacey I liked the idea of throwing off all the  toxins in my body from processed Food because though I was a lacto-ovo Vegetarian like my father and mother since birth I still liked junk food too like potato chips and Doritos and Fritos and stuff like this as well as ice cream and various other things too. So, fasting was a way to throw off toxins from my body to help prevent various kinds of cancer that people were dying from a lot then all over the U.S. and world.

And in 1960 most people were pretty ignorant of diet's relationships to life and death of people so people I knew died often in their 30s and 40s or young and especially older then. Almost no no one then lived to be 70 years old then in 1960 because of people's diet was so bad for their survival. And Building Contractors often would die of heart attacks we knew by 40 or 50 years old from working hard and going home and eating a steak and potatoes and having a beer and then by eating and going to sleep too fast this killed them. And this happened a lot. So, since I didn't want to die young and had experienced near death from Whooping cough at 2 and a concussion at 9 which caused night time seizures from 10 to 15 years of age I l took fasting and diet much more seriously than most people did as I watched so many people in our church and around me die of basically not going to the doctor and bad diet and not enough exercise etc. etc. etc.

However, at this point in life I have found my blood sugar is affected by fasting for very long. However, I find that Intermittent Fasting causes me to lose weight if I go about 15 hours or more without food. So, for example, if you are a man and you fast from dinner 15 or more hours often you will lose a pound a day but then your body will plateau for awhile at a weight before it allows you to lose more weight from intermittent Fasting.

However, this is the way I use to keep my weight under control at 78 which is intermittent fasting and it allows my body to rebuild itself when I'm not eating all the time because when a body is digesting food it takes 90% of the body's energy to do this. So, when you don't eat in Intermittent Fasting your body is literally healing itself and getting stronger I find doing this.

So, even though I never go 24 hours to 96 hours or even 1 week fasts anymore at this age I regularly do intermittent fasting almost every day now that I can. The only problem with this is every time someone visits and we take them out to dinner I gain one or more pounds that day doing this. However, if I'm not going to a restaurant the rest of the week I can lose that too within a couple of days.

So, I'm presently at the lowest weight I have been since around the time my youngest daughter was born in 1996 which is good because I find I'm stronger now every day which is good and it's sort of like growing younger every day to get down to a weight I'm more happy with.

I might even start skiing again this winter now that my robotic Hernia surgery allows me to lose weight without dying since about March of this year.

So, the point is if you are man you might lose the weight you want to just by not eating for 15 to 18 hours a day from dinner until 9 to noon the next day. Actually 18 hours likely is the best once you become adjusted to not eating for that length of time.

It's one way to stay alive and not die before your time if you are a man.

Because for some reason intermittent fasting doesn't seem to work for women I have been told by all the women in my life (family and friends). 

No comments: