Friday, June 5, 2009

Mystic

I have always been grateful to have been raised a mystic by my mother and grandmother. They seemed to teach my father to slowly become a mystic too. He was more a genius and Mom was more a common sense extremely intuitive person. So I guess you could say she was an intuitive genius rather than an intellectual one.

The essence of being a mystic is constant direct experiences with God that you tend to value more than anything written down. So, the basis of being a mystic is "essence", the essence of everything and therefore the essence of God. A part of the mystic's path could be, "If an ant is your guru, feed him(or her)." Another part of a mystic's path would be, "God is where you find him(her, the being). So being a mystic is totally experiential. One is constantly looking for God everywhere, in a falling leaf, in a sunrise, in a lover's kiss, at the birth of your child, in your children's eyes, during a beautiful rainstorm with lightning crashing.

So, mystics can be of any or all religions or no religion at all. They can be shamanic mystics even. So, the thread of continuity that holds the whole human race together I would say is the mystical path, humanism and the kindredness of being an earth born human.

Though I started out being a Christian mystic because my mother and grandmother were of the old Scottish school of thought that blended ancient mystic ideas with the forgiveness of Christianity. It was sort of Merlin meets Jesus as a mystic. But as I grew into adulthood I found first the Yogis of India, Lao Tsu in China, Zoroaster in Iran, and also Jalaladin Rumi. I later even found Casteneda and Don Juan, and The Aquarian Gospel of Peace, and Krishna and Radha and Arjuna and the East Indian word, Darshan(which is the blessings bestowed by a master upon all who are near him or her) which I found to be a very real and tangible thing in my own direct experiences, both in the United States and in India and Nepal.

So, even though I became an American Christian Mystic by birth I became an international mystic at heart as an adult. I went from a group of about 10,000 souls that were my core to a group of all of humanity, all life on earth and all life in the universe as my core group.

This is not just theoretical to me but a direct mystical experience. The whole universe is my direct mystical experience every day now and what I write about is my ongoing love affair with the God of the universe and of all the life God has created within it in all times and spaces and beyond.

No comments: