Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sai Baba

I first understood who Sai Baba was during the 1960s and 1970s. My Uncle who was a Science of Mind Minister to the Stars in Hollywood took his older son, my cousin to meet Sai Baba in India sometime between 1965 and 1968. Sai Baba precipitated a ring for my uncle and a spiritual necklace for my cousin who was about 18 years old that summer. He and I were the same age and into the Beatles and stuff and what was happening then in Hollywood, Los Angeles and San Francisco so we talked a lot then about what happened when he met Sai Baba.

Sai Baba was known around the world for two things: one, manifesting scented ash from one of his previous bodies on pictures of himself around the world spontaneously at a distance(I saw this) and two precipatating things from the universal for people who were donating or doing good works for his students worldwide. This precipitation when it happened caused some people's normal version of reality to collapse. For someone like myself these kinds of wonderful supernatural things are accepted as a natural part of the physical universe. However, for others, this sort of thing when witnessed just collapsed their natural reality. It just depends on the person which reaction people have when supernatural events occur that cannot be explained at all by western point of view.

I have a completely different way of looking at this sort of thing. I see these events like different languages of understanding and experience. To me, it makes perfect sense that if people believe different things then they are going to have different experiences. Since my experience is that all people's beliefs actually create the reality they experience it makes sense to me to be open to what people's beliefs are going to create if they are different than where I grew up.

As a mystic this just makes logical sense to me. However, for others who basically have lived in the same place since they were born and talked to the same people since they were born, it might not work for them like it does for me who lived about 50 different places since I was born. I learned to adapt to anything and they might have learned only to conform to that one reality they grew up with. Until I was 45 the longest I had lived anywhere was 4 years and this had happened only three times. The first from age 8 to 12 and the second from 12 to 16 and the third from 17
to 21. However, since age 45 I have lived one place 5 years and most recently ten years in the same place. However, it has taken a lot for me to get used to living in one place this long. I find it very strange. I still keep my shaving kit packed at all times with electric razer. safety razors, tooth brush, cologne, after shave, mini parabolic mirror, scissors, small swiss army knives, combs and brushes at all times ready to go anywhere for the last 15 years next to my bathroom sink. So, my identity as an international traveler is still alive and well, whether I'm visiting friends in Mt. Shasta or on business in Southern California or visiting friends or relatives on the east coast, England or just traveling through Europe or some other destination.

When I lived in Mt. Shasta in 1979 and 1980 I was a single father and my son was 4 or 5 years old. There was a lady friend that I met at a Sai Baba meditation meeting that was a Forest Ranger and she sort of fell in love with my young son. She baby sat him before she was leaving to join Sai Baba as a devotee working for him for about 3 years. I admired her devotion to his causes and was grateful for her help babysitting my son while I worked. The next fall he went to kindergarten.

I found myself experiencing Sai Baba on Mt. Shasta often when I hiked alone the trails between 8000 feet and 10,000 feet there. I had had experiences with my uncle like this before who had died in a plane crash as well so I was used to being visited by beings who were soul traveling. And after all I was a soul traveler myself. Often I could see Sai Baba and he would counsel me then. I found this relationship to Sai Baba very healing and comforting and it helped me continue to be a good single father to my son and it helped keep me centered in making good decisions for myself and my son until I met my second wife and settled down again in 1980 in March.

Recently, as I was writing the latest series of Arcane and Prohetess which included Yesu(Jesus),
Siddhartha Buddha, Padmasambhava, Babaji, and Sai Baba I found myself having conversations once again with Sai Baba. I once again found it very comforting the way real highly evolved spiritual teachers really are. It seems they show up in our lives when they are most needed. Likely, many of the things Sai Baba says in this series are actually his.

No comments: