Friday, August 13, 2010

adjustable beds

Recently, my wife and I purchased an adjustable bed, a Cal King. After we programmed the two sides to electrically move together simaltaneously to a single remote controller we were on our way. Our reason for purchasing something like this was that we wanted a Tempurpedic mattress  combined with an adjustable bed. Also, my wife thought that she could adjust the bed up when I was snoring and thereby stop me from snoring because at about 15 degrees the upper bed will generally prevent snoring for almost anyone. Also, by raising both our legs up a little bit our legs are more refreshed in the morning than if they had been pooling blood all night. If you are over 50 years of age you might appreciate this as well. However, if you can't afford an adjustable bed (ours was about 4000 dollars total) you can buy a wedge of foam to lift your upper body to prevent snoring.

Two nights ago my wife got me into trouble. For years now, since I have been snoring I got out of the habit of sleeping on my back and so either slept only on my left or right side. However, if she was adjusting the bed while I was asleep this can create some pretty odd angles for the body if one is asleep.
For several months now since we got the bed I woke up many mornings from slightly stretched muscles in my back from her adjusting me out of snoring while I was asleep by adjusting the bed.

However, two nights ago the adjustment completely through my back out and I spent a lot of the day kind of walking sideways and getting into the hot tub in the back yard or stretching just wouldn't loosen my back up. Finally, in desperation I just went to bed and took and Advil which sort of acted like a mild muscle relaxant and pain killer and that seemed to work by morning.

However, I told my wife that she has to make sure I'm on my back whenever she adjusts the bed from now on so I don't have this problem of my back being out for a whole day or more. I wasn't angry at her I just explained the logic of it and she agreed. Then after she adjusts the bed I would be just awake enough to assume a non harmful position in the bed.

I think an adjustable bed is a really great invention but you have to get used to all the ups and downs and ins and outs of sleeping on such a contraption.

No comments: