Monday, January 20, 2014

Dracula as Anti-Hero?

In my teens and twenties (up until I was 28 and started my own businesses) I saw most of my employers as Draculas that sucked up my time and energy and made me do things I didn't want to. (which was why I also decided to have my own businesses to be able to make my own money without it being siphoned off by working for someone else). This literally saved my life in creating my own businesses that I could be satisfied and relatively happy in doing.

But, what I wanted to write about here is the present "Dracula" series:

Dracula (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt2296682/
Rating: 7.7/10 - ‎11,420 votes
Created by Cole Haddon. With Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Jessica De Gouw, Thomas Kretschmann, Victoria Smurfit. Series introduces Dracula as he arrives in ...


Because I grew up and watched the first Dracula with Bela Lugosi from the 1930s on television I came to like the high moral ground of that Dracula rather than the "Slippery slope of Bella deciding it was okay to fall in love with a vampire and have a baby with one?"

The moral ambiguity necessary to get from the 1930s Bela Lugosi "Dracula"

Dracula (1931) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt0021814/
Rating: 7.7/10 - ‎24,997 votes
Directed by Tod Browning, Karl Freund. With Bela Lugosi, Helen Chandler, David Manners, Dwight Frye. The ancient vampire Count Dracula arrives in England ...
to the Twilight Series and all the other spinoffs is enough to give anyone a nose bleed in the moral slippery slope that this brings to it.
So, the present TV program "Dracula"

Dracula (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb

find very satisfying in the period and place it is set "London: sometime between 1890 and 1910" and the fact that he is championing "Nicola Tesla electrical power which Tesla died trying to bring to the U.S. through FDR. (Tesla mysteriously died after visiting Franklin delano Roosevelt while trying to bring free electricity to the masses). (some people think George Westinghouse had him killed to keep electricity profitable).

George Westinghouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Westinghouse
Westinghouse was one of Thomas Edison's main rivals in the early .... In August 1890, a convict named William Kemmler became the first man to be executed by ...
Anyway, this series I find very interesting because of the period it is set in and also because Mena appears to be a reincarnation of Dracula's love that was burnt at the stake before he was "killed" with a stake through his heart and put in a coffin. So, when Van Helsing "woke" dracula up to take revenge on the order of the dragon for the killing of Van Helsings children and wife it all gets pretty interesting. 
But, I think the reason I like this series is it takes Dracula back to a place where he is masquerading as an American business tycoon in England with all the ramifications that that sort of thing would bring upon the staid and gentrified society of London in that period.
Also, the Renfield of this Dracula is very different than any other Renfield I've seen before so that is interesting too.

 

No comments: