Friday, October 30, 2015

Terraforming Earth (and Mars?)

  1. Terraforming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TerraformingCached
    Terraforming (literally, "Earth-shaping") of a planet, moon, or other body is the hypothetical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface ...
  2. Terraforming of Mars - Wikipedia, the free...

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming_of_MarsCached
    The terraforming of Mars is the hypothetical process by which Mars's climate and surface would be deliberately changed to make large areas of the environment ... 

    Because of the drought in California many of my favorite plants in my yard are dying because they need ground water to sustain them. So, the natural springs that go under or around my house (now that I have a French drain to move it around my house so it doesn't puddle under my house and cause problems especially on a rainy year are gone, completely gone for now.

    So, my Rhododendrons  in the front are dying, my scottish heather is dying (near the front or dead already) and my second Scottish Heather plant is likely dying too. Because they both need ground water and I can only water them a little on Wednesdays and Saturdays because of water rationing where I live on the Northern California coast. Though we have had one storm this month so far it didn't really soak in deep enough yet (although that could change at literally any moment because of the extreme El Nino brewing with Great White sharks abounding in Southern California, and poisonous sea snakes being found as far north as Ventura now).

    So, as I visited Palm Desert (next to Palm Springs) in the deserts of Southern California, I stayed at a place literally terra formed from sand dunes. As I looked out on this completely man made oasis I thought about the future of the human race (at least people wealthy enough to afford to stay somewhere like this) (which would be middle Class or above).

    So, I realized I was witnessing Terra forming like I had read about in Science Fiction books for years now.

    Likely one of the earlier terra forming projects of humanity would have to be Versailles in France started I believe by King Louis XIV. IN 2009 I visited there and realized that this was partly where Disney came up with Disneyland when he was at Versailles during World War I as an ambulance driver.

    Then you have to say that Disneyland was a terra forming experience in order to put real people on real movie sets so they are part of the characters in their own movie so to speak. 

    So, terra forming is creating whatever you want to exist on any planet. 

    For example, if the planet were getting colder you could build a see through dome to increase heat upon a city. Or if the planet got really hot you might build underground malls like the one I saw in New Delhi in 1986 in INdia. However, you have to somehow bring air that is cool and new and clean into such an underground place too. And I must say that then I was a little uncomfortable watching soldiers with Kalashnikov sub machine guns walking around there to defend it too then.

    So, you see the direction I'm going here. People are more and more going to build "whatever they want to build anywhere" sort of like the Ski resorts indoors in malls in Saudi Arabia and places like that where you can literally ski anytime of the year.

    However, I have skied myself at Timberline Lodge in July on a good snow year there on Mt. Hood in Oregon.

    And if you are willing to hike up to the top of Mt. Shasta and ski down often you can do this in July and August too.

    So, I guess what I'm saying here is terra forming is in our future on Earth and on Mars


No comments: