Friday, November 30, 2012

IPad Siri?

I noticed that a new IOS upgrade was available for my IPad and my daughter asked me if I wanted to try Siri along with it. I said, "Yes" because I wanted to play with it. Though I had an Iphone4 before I accidentally ran it through the washing machine in my jeans, I never had an IPhone Siri and wanted to see what Siri would be like on an Ipad. At first, I didn't understand why it didn't work at first. Later, when I turned it off I found out why after playing with it when it began to start working.(It is the way it interfaces with Servers. If you don't leave it on all the time it doesn't work right right away ever time). Once I loaded Siri (I turned off the Siri Locator because I like my privacy first). Then Siri said to turn it back on because it didn't know who I was. So, I named myself "Home" to see how it operated so it called me "home" for a while. Then my son who understood Siri's programming better said, "Why don't you just let it call you Fred and renamed me "Fred" so Siri could call me Fred. I found it interesting but then I found I couldn't push the home button and get to the home page and the settings button, so I found it sort of cumbersome for me in this sense. Also, I didn't care for the female voice in "American English" because SIRI sort of sounded angry like a dominatrix or something. I tried Canadian English and this was a little better but I like the British Guy accent the best of any English accent because the American dominatrix voice I felt like I wanted to punch her in the face. So, I wouldn't want that person (if it was a real person in my life at all).  Finally, I realized it wasn't something useful for me in the way I liked to function at least the way it is set up now. Also, it mainly existed I realized to suck all the information it could out of me like who were the people I knew and where did I go. So, SIRI's whole existence was to steal my privacy.

So, basically SIRI also followed the basic rule of the Internet which is: "Anything that is free on the Internet usually exists in order to steal all your privacy and personal information including everything to do with your livelihood" And SIRI proved to me that SIRI was no exception to this rule.

So, Siri I realized is right up there with Facebook and all the other free programs in taking every single piece of information about you and using it forever and never giving it back to you.

And what I think is sad is most people under 30 to 35 years of age think this is okay and then wonder why they can't get a job? Did they ever think that these programs are one reason they can't get a job? This isn't hard for me to see, but then I was raised in the 1950s where people fought tooth and nail to protect every single iota of their privacy. And they had lives and Jobs and businesses because they protected their privacy from all intruders.

I'm sorry to be so cynical but the other rule in life also applies here, "Anything that is too good to be true usually is".

No comments: