Friday, November 16, 2012

Extremely Low Tides in Northern California

Maybe there is something going on that I am not aware of but have you seen the incredibly low tides at night or late afternoon in Northern California? The first evening it did this I was walking with my dogs on a beach and wondered if there was going to be a tsunami or something because I could walk about a block further into the ocean than I ever remember being able to before in the last 14 years there. However, it is possible that I never came during this type of extremely low tides? It is so far out there that I am walking out to where surfers usually catch large waves so this is really incredible to walk out that far. But maybe you know what is causing this because I have no idea?

One explanation might be that now that the northern polar regions melt off so far in the fall that the waters in the oceans are warmer and more water is evaporating into moisture and some into clouds. This might increase the greenhouse effect and make more precipitation some places and other effects as well. But this is just a thought as to the mechanics of this and probably meteorologists have a better explanation for this than I do.

Later: The extreme low tides caused the sands to wash away during a storm so it completely changed the beach. It was a long sloping beach and now it is much more abrupt in its drop. This has brought the ocean closer because of the loss of the beach sand and altitude loss of the ground level.

No comments: