Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Stormy Northern California

I awoke this morning to a full blown storm, it was raining hard but not blowing that much yet. Now, the rains are lighter but the winds have picked up and there are 50 mph gusts and sometimes higher blowing branches off trees and down the street. No one appears to be on the road right now because of it. Since I live in a forest this is likely wise because trees and branches will be flying in this much wind. We are lucky the ground isn't saturated with water yet so less big trees (mostly pines) won't tend to come down as much. But since some of them have pitch canker what happens a lot in a wind like this is that they will break somewhere in the middle or split in two and come down and that can be serious too with a 50 to 100 foot tall tree. So, I walked around my property to make sure that no trees came down and caused damage to fences or other things. So, far there is just twigs and branches blowing down the street and pine needles and water mixing on the roads which will make it very slick for unwary drivers, which right now there aren't any.

My wife called me from another nearby area to tell me that there were multiple rainbows where she was. She asked me to go out and see if there were any here. I didn't expect any but as I walked out on the front porch there was one above the house across the street from us which was nice to see when walking outside. But it quickly faded away because the weather is pretty changable right now. So far so good. No damage to my property, fences or house. Amazing winds though. Some places are getting above 50 and on up to 50 to 75 mile per hour winds in gusts. That is sure to bring down more limbs and trees in this area.

I think we just got one of the 70 mph gusts because the house creaked from the pressure because it won't do that at lower winds than that.

No comments: