Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Comedy of Errors

I'm not going to die but the other side of it is that it is pretty upsetting. I take Armour Thyroid and have been trying to get another order to me from Canada for about 2 months. My new doctor wanted me to take a higher dose but I couldn't do that because I didn't have enough to do that. So, I had to stay on the lower dose for the last month or two until another order from Canada came. And to make matters worse they no longer make Armour Thyroid here in the U.S. (Which is a problem for me because it is the ONLY Thyroid prescription for me at least that has absolutely no side effects at all and makes me feel mentally like I did when I was about 20 years old.

So, I ordered a new prescription order in Early December, then they told me on December 27th two days after Christmas (Merry Christmas Fred) that they hadn't shipped the order because the doctors office had said I only take one 30mg tablet a day. However, that hasn't been true for about 2 years now as I take about 70 mg a day or 2 1/4 tablets a day. Then my doctor wanted me to take 3 tablets a day and I will try that but am unsure if I will be able to sleep at all at that dose. (Thyroid medicine can be a little like drinking coffee in some people). My doctor thinks at that dose it will make me lose weight which is likely true but if I can't sleep at that dose it also could affect my health as well.

Anyway, the Armour Thyroid was supposed to get here sometime between January 10th and January 24th. However, here it is now January 22nd and my last dose of Armour thyroid I will take tomorrow morning. So this is kind of upsetting because without it I likely won't die but could get ill like with Bronchitis or a bad cold or get a flu quite easily and I might be psychologically difficult because without it it completely throws off the hormone balance in my body. Before I was diagnosed as a hypothyroid sufferer at age 58 I got bronchitis up to 5 times a year and was very worried I would die of pneumonia between ages 60 to 65. However, now I'm 64 and because I now take Armour thyroid I seldom ever get sick with anything and haven't had bronchitis for several years now. So, Armour Thyroid for me is life saving in that I'm still alive now because of it with a high quality of life.

However, since I got hit with a Solar Flare in the plane I was traveling in coming back from Hawaii in October I have had heart problems too in addition to being Hypothyroid. So, this complicates matters a lot. So, I have no idea at all what will happen 2 days from now if I don't have my Armour thyroid in hand from Canada. I'll let you know what happens.

Later: It is now 3:30 in the afternoon pm on Thursday January 24th and I still haven't received any Amour Thyroid from Canada. But strangely enough God covered me once again sort of(in the end completely in a new and different way). It is sort of strange sometimes how you find things out you really need to know. For example, it would have been nice to know that I had a Hypothyroid condition in my 30s or 40s or even most of my 50s. But, I didn't even learn this from my doctor but from my physical trainer from Germany, who is a beautiful blonde lady that was then in her mid 30s. As I described my symptoms then, she told me she thought I had a hypothyroid condition because these were her symptoms too, and she had a hypothyroid condition as well. Also, in Germany before she came to the United States she had trained and had become a Physician's assistant there as well. So she had had a great deal of medical training there. So, finally at age 58 after having Bronchitis up to 5 times a year since I turned 50 and feeling wonky a lot of the time I suddenly began to feel in my mind and sometimes in my body like I did at 20 (Great!) by taking armour thyroid. But then, a couple of years later around my age 60 they stopped making and selling it in the U.S. So, I had to buy it from Canada. But, today after having taken my very last tablet of armour thyroid this morning and getting sort of distressed because I actually needed to have taken 2 1/4 tablets minimum, I started to get wonky around noon and wondered why my heart was beating so strange like it was going to fall out of my chest. Within an hour I realized it was (Not enough thyroid to balance my body's hormones for the day). So, I found I could walk and drive my car okay but couldn't really talk very well. Oh, I could move my mouth and make words come out I just couldn't unscramble my thoughts from the hormone imbalance to do that very well. So, I apologized to the pharmicist saying, "I ran out of Armour thyroid today and I'm having trouble talking." She said, "Okay. No problem." But then she said, "Oh. They now make and sell Armour Thyroid in the U.S. again so we don't have to compound some for you. We can just fill your prescription if we have it in stock. Would you like to do that?" I said, "Yes. That's amazing! They really sell it in the states again?"

So, I waited as my brains kept scrambling more and felt more wonky. I really don't like to be out in public when I feel that way. But finally, they gave me the prescription of 90mg tablets and I split one in half because I needed about 45 mg to make it through the day okay. And tomorrow as per my doctors instructions I will up my dose from 70 or 75 mg a day to 90 mg a day. I'll know within the week if I can sleep at all at that dose. So, we'll see. He wants me to lose weight because of my heart problems and he thinks this might be a quick way to do it. And since I'm retired or semi-retired sleeping every night is in some ways optional. But, at 64 I really don't like missing more than one nights sleep every week or two. I'm not in my 20s anymore. Besides 30 tablets of 90 mg presently for some reason are about 1/3 of what I'm paying for Armour thyroid from Canada. So, definitely things have changed since I last checked.

No comments: