Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Skiing at Mt Shasta Ski Park

When I skied last Thursday at Mt. Shasta Ski Park there was about 60 inches at the top of Douglas Diamond Run I did with my friend a couple of times and about 40 inches down at the starting lifts near the parking lots. Though Marmot which is an intermediate slope is likely good down to about 3 feet of snow, one has to be careful under about 4 feet of snow on most of the diamond runs (expert level) because of the steepness of the slopes. So, hopefully a storm that is supposed to hit tonight and tomorrow will add in some more snow there. Also, they have several snow machines for whenever the nights stay cold enough to generate snow from fine water sprayed into the air.

Last Thursday, the conditions were excellent and it was one of the best ski days in years there for me. Though the underneath snow was icy there was a top lose crust of snow of several inches to cut through with your edges which made it effortless to ski in where you ankles and knees didn't get too tired like they can sometimes when there is corn snow which can be more difficult to maneuver in and much more effort. The one thing I didn't want to do however, was to fall down because it likely would have been a pretty hard landing with the ice just inches below the surface loose snow. But, since I never fell once even on the diamond slopes I was really happy that day skiing.

I found it this time much easier to rent downhill skis, boots and poles right there at the park. All I had to do was to remember to call them and reserve the size boots I wear which is 15. Though I can also ski in a size 14 it is much less comfortable than a 15. But by reserving the 15 I had a wonderful time and didn't get rashes on my shins from skiing in too tight a boot.

No comments: