Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Godric

Note: if you haven't seen True Blood from HBO the series (all 7 seasons) yet and plan to don't read this. Some of the seasons are free at Netflix and some either need to be purchased at Amazon Prime and run through a Roku (or your new Blue Ray DVD player) that receives online media through your WIFI. end note:

Anyway, my wife and I hadn't seen the first few seasons of this series because my daughter got interested in it earlier this summer and by the 5th season I started watching it as a family thing even though the idea of vampires eating people really turned me off. However, this was a good thing because my 19 year old daughter bonded more with us both by doing this and confided that she didn't want to go back to her college because they gave her no electives which greatly upset her. They didn't tell her this until she arrived for her first year of college. So, this was a bonding mechanism so she was able to share how upset she was not receiving any electives even though she won a scholarship to this college.

She thought the 7th season shouldn't have been made and they should have stopped with the 6th season. However, because I was less attached to the series I watched the 7th season too even after she stopped watching because she thought the series should have ended after the 6th season.

Anyway, I sort of missed the cameraderie and so my wife and I started watching the first few seasons to catch up to our daughter.

And one of the most interesting characters in the first two seasons is Godric.

The reason he is interesting is he is Eric (The Viking's) Maker. Now Eric is a 1000 year old Viking but Godric is his maker and is a 2000 year old Vampire. He is very sophisticated but also tired of all the violence and toward the end of season two he decided to end his life in a very touching scene. So, he welcomes his death in the sunlight with joy in the hope that God will receive him and forgive him.

The special effects are quite wonderful as well. I was very moved by his interaction with Sookie Stackhouse and he is happy to be sent off to a time with God or oblivion as the sun rises after talking with Sookie on top of a tall hotel in "I think Dallas".

I think what is interesting is how they depict Godric as a peacmaker, a sheriff of the Vampires in Texas and likely someone from Sweden or Norway originally like Eric only 1000 to 2000 years before.

He also mentions he was alive at the time of Christ but was sad because he didn't get to meet him then.

No comments: