Saturday, December 30, 2017

Call Me by Your Name (2017)

This was NOT a choice of a movie that I was wanting to go see. I had no idea really what it was about before I went but I was asked to see this by my younger daughter and older daughter so eventually I went with them and had no idea what to expect except that this movie was set in Northern Italy somewhere.

But, in watching the movie what it actually is is a "Coming of Age" movie. It is really less about sexual orientation and more about experimentation of someone young and alive. My favorite line of the movie is "So, you've already moved on to the plant kingdom I see". Which really exhibits the experimentalism in this movie that reminded me more of how people were in college in the 1960s and 1970s. This wasn't the direction I chose to go then. My experimentalism went to "Back to the land" and I chose to go to Mt. Shasta to be remote with pure water and pure air and snow and skiing and hiking and back packing. So, each of us choose in which ways we are going to experiment with life. My experimentalism led me to Mt. Shasta, then to India and Nepal, to study with Tibetan Lamas and native American Medicine men in California, Oregon and Tibetan Lamas in India and Nepal and receiving the kalachakra from the Dalai Lama with 500,000 other people along with my older 3 children and wife then in 1985 at Christmastime in Bodhgaya, India. 

However, this movie is about a graduate student (Armie Hammer) and a 17 year old American being raised in Northern Italy and their friendship. Life is an experiment and all sorts of things happen to people as they make their ways to adulthood and each of us are different in this.

 

Call Me by Your Name (2017) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt5726616/
Rating: 8.5/10 - ‎14,227 votes
Drama · In Northern Italy in 1983, seventeen year-old Elio begins a relationship with visiting Oliver, his father's research assistant, with whom he bonds over his emerging sexuality, their Jewish heritage, and the beguiling Italian landscape.
Sony Pictures Classics presents 'Call Me By Your Name' - Now Playing NY & LA - Coming Soon To A City Near You.

Call Me By Your Name (2017) - Official Trailer - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9AYPxH5NTM
Aug 1, 2017 - Uploaded by SonyPicturesClassics
CALL ME BY YOUR NAME, the new film by Luca Guadagnino, is a sensual and transcendent tale of first love ...

Call Me by Your Name (film) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_Me_by_Your_Name_(film)
Call Me by Your Name is a 2017 romantic coming-of-age drama film directed by Luca Guadagnino and written by James Ivory, based on the 2007 novel of the same name by André Aciman. It is the third and final installment in Guadagnino's thematic Desire trilogy, following I Am Love (2009) and A Bigger Splash (2015).

No comments: