Thursday, November 25, 2021

Rosamund Pike was on the Late Show with Steven Colbert

I was watching a DVR of this tonight and found out that she and her family were moved to I think Prague for the filming of the Amazon Prime Series "Wheel of Time" which would be in 

Czechoslovakia - Wikipedia

Czechoslovakia, or Czecho-Slovakia was a sovereign state in Central Europe, created in October 1918, when it declared its independence from Austria-Hungary.

My son when he was 25 went to Prague with a friend when his friend got his degree in Physics from UCSC. So, this would be 1999. I flew over to Munich and met them after they visited Prague then and rented a motor home and brought my mother and my 10 year old daughter and then we all together drove through Germany to Oberammergau and then into Austria and Switzerland and then through the tunnels through the Alps into Northern Italy then. We also stayed in Zurich which is where my father's relatives came from to the U.S. around 1725 AD from. They landed in Philadelphia after taking a ship up the river to Philadelphia then from the ocean from England then.

Though I never read the 14 book series "Wheel of Time" my wife knows about this series which is interesting because it brings in reincarnation in a sort of world ecumenical form of many aspects of many religions and ideas in this series. So, it is an interesting one to watch. For example, Trollocs remind me a lot of the Orcs in the Tolkien Trilogy. So, the author of Wheel of Time obviously liked Tolkien's writings a lot. 
Tolkien's friends from World War I mostly died in the war and he fought there too but physically survived and so he wrote the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as a therapy for his awful PTSD experiences of losing all his friends in World War I in Europe.  After the war, Tolkien was a Linguistics professor in a major university there in England. And he created the Elven and Orc languages from his knowledge of linguistics.

 

No comments: