Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Bear Startles Skiers at Heavenly in California

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/bear-startles-skiers-lake-tahoe-115404527.html

You might have to watch a commercial to see the news pictures. I have been close to bears in Yosemite many times and usually I have chosen to quickly walk the other way. Often bears in California are as scared of you as you are of them. But, their behavior is best understood if you compared them to a big 500 plus pound wild dog. So, what that means is expect almost anything. Because they rule the forest they usually consider themselves at the top of the food chain. You are not the top of the food chain to them so expect territorial behavior if you confront them.

One time in the mid 1980s I was driving with my son (somewhere between 8 to 10 years of age and my father (early 60s then) when we on a remote dirt road near my 2 1/2 acres on the side of mt. Shasta. He was crossing the road and stood up on his hind legs to confront us as he was startled. I backed my vehicle up so he wouldn't damage my 4 wheel drive or bite a tire and make it flat. We just stayed there watching each other for about a minute and he decided we weren't a problem and walked off into the woods. You don't forget moments like that!

No comments: