I got used to temperatures down to about 21 degrees Fahrenheit or lower while skiing and snowshoeing across high mountain frozen lakes with friends. I was a little sad that my bindings on my old Mountaineering skis stopped working but I got the satisfaction of giving them to a friend who needed them because he couldn't afford to buy them. So, all he has to do is to put new bindings on them and to get some ski boots that fit.
So, I talked it over with my wife and we decided to get me new mountaineering skis, and poles and to keep using my old boots because they didn't have my size boot anyway in stock because it is so large. So, I got metal edged very wide Fischers. My first non-metal edged cross country skis that I bought in Ashland in 1976 were Fischers so it made me happy to have another pair of Fischers
On Thursday I had the best skiing experience in about 5 years skiing on downhill rented skis with my friend at the lifts there in Mt. Shasta. It was the first time either of us had skied downhill this year. Also, I realized this week I have never owned Downhill skis but have always owned Cross Country skis continuously since 1976. I find it much easier to rent my downhill skis usually as long as they have a size 15 boot to rent because I'm 6 foot 5 inches tall.
When it gets below about 25 degrees I like to have a muffler or Balaclava to breathe through so it warms the air a little before it gets into my lungs. Those of you more used to under 25 degrees might do it a different way but lower than about 25 degrees Fahrenheit sometimes hurts my lungs if I breathe it straight. I suppose I could find a different technique for breathing at lower temperatures but I haven't lived in it to be able to learn that yet. So, I'm happy to realize I can still do all the things I used to before having heart problems in October still. I think the trick is just watching carefully how my body reacts to every change and to eat much more carefully in what I choose to eat or not eat while traveling. I found I ate a lot less and mostly if I was driving only drank milk and ate almonds during the 6 or 7 hour drive there and back. So, I'm grateful the old happy out of doors man kicked in and I felt really happy to be alive on this journey.
To the best of my ability I write about my experience of the Universe Past, Present and Future
Top 10 Posts This Month
- Dolly Parton on English version of Wikipedia
- Cancer rates 1900 to 2000 and beyond
- The natural Progression of AI killing more and more people (from my personal point of view)
- As of September 16th at around 6 am this is the most read article here at this blog
- Strait of Hormuz shut until Tehran's conditions met, Ghalibaf says
- Inside the bipartisan effort to stop the Big Bend border wall
- Hunter charged with manslaughter in shooting of woman he mistook for a deer: Police
- Protesters form human chain at Kennedy Center amid Trump's threats to demolish it
- Russia’s New Favorite Jihadis: The Taliban
- From Google Images these are all variations of Tibetan Momos
No comments:
Post a Comment