Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Multiple realities that we all live in

 I think it was easier for me to enter a view of the world that contained multiple realities because I moved so much during my life from my birth on.

For example, I was born at Waldo Memorial Hospital in Seattle which is now where KOMO TV is still I believe. Then I lived in a Spartan Trailer 28 feet long parked on my Grandfather's 2 1/2 acres of Apple, Black Cherry trees, boysenberries and raspberries. During this time my father build a home for us under the garage which was on a steep hill so there was room under the stilts the garage was built on on the hill. I could walk outside after I could walk to eat the raspberries which I loved to do. One of the first things I learned to do was to pick raspberries and to avoid the thorns which was difficult to learn for someone 2 to 3 years old but I finally mastered this. Later when I was about 4 my cousin Billy (5 years older) took me to a frog pond to show me frogs eggs which looked sort of to me like the Milky Way Galaxy visible at night then before skies became more polluted from the big cities back then around 1951 and 1952. So, in 1952 when I was 4 there still were not yellow, green and red stop lights yet and instead we had railroad like arms that moved from "Stop" to "Go" instead in Seattle then. Also, no seat belts and kids were more expendable then and sort of had to fend for themselves more than now.

I liked from age 2 to 3 onward to stand up holding my father's drivers seat in his 1941 Century Buick V8 race car that was owned by his brother until he died in 1942 in a plane crash. But, when my father went around corners sometimes I fell down and hit my head on the window winders or rear door handles. But, I didn't and couldn't cry because my father wouldn't relate to me if I cried so I learned not to cry when I was injured around him so I could still get his attention. I learned to be "Stiff upper lip" around men so they would think well of me.

Learning to be macho even at age 2 to 4 years old was a part of my long term survival strategy in that world then.

Then when I was 4 years old we moved first to Vista, California. I started kindergarten there near San Diego. Then 1/2 year later we moved to El Cajon where we rented a house that had Apricot trees where I could climb the trees and eat apricots. Then when I was 5 and going to enter first grade that fall in the summer we moved to Tujunga in Los Angeles County up against the hills. Then when I was 8 we moved to Glendale where I lived in two houses one on Belmont STreet and one on Harvard street near Glendale High School. Then when I was 16 we moved to a 3 bedroom apartment near Brand Blvd. in Glendale where my parents stayed until I was 21. Then I moved to Venice, California on the beach there after spending summer at my Aunts in the Hollywood Hills because she had a swimming pool which I loved before I moved to Venice.

I figure in my life I have moved about 50 times so far about once for every year until I was 50 years old.

But, when I married in 1995 we have lived in only two houses and then my wife inherited her mother's house eventually too in Santa Barbara.

But, each place you have lived is like an alternate reality in a way. So, I learned to live in many different realities along the way. This is why it's easy for me to have multiple realities that all exist for me with different sets of friends that live in different places around California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington.

This created a world where multiple realities exist concurrently for me. Then the religion I was raised in also created it's own set of realities that I existed in growing up with my parents who were part time ministers always in their religion.

I have known many people who lived in the same house from birth until death but I'm not like that at all. For me, the grass is often greener in the next place or next adventure worldwide for me. However, the place my wife and I have lived since 1999 now has become a home for me and my wife and all my children. So, that's good too.

No comments: