Sunday, March 12, 2023

No power since last Thursday in SF BAY AREA which is why I couldn't blog

Where I live at least 6000 people or more were without power, all Cell service, all texting, all Internet, all Cable TV which is the worst disaster of it's kind I have seen here because unless you had a car when you had an emergency you were dead or injured without help. Only if you had a land line or hard fax line could you get help without a car or truck or a good neighbor or friend or paramedics.

So, from my point of view this is the worst disaster to hit where I live since I moved here to this area in 1995. A friend of mine tried to text me, she said, "This is Crazy! I feel like I'm a dream!"

Now, if you aren't used to ever being without power, cell service, texting, Internet, or Cable TV you might have that reaction too, especially if you couldn't work to support your family because there literally was NO power or anything working for 10 miles or more in every direction!

I tried to save the food in our refrigerators and luckily a friend of mine had a good idea. When I went to Home Depot they were completely out of Electrical Generators gasoline powered. So, at first I was crest fallen because I needed to save the food in our refrigerators because we likely had about 1000 dollars worth of food, especially stuff that was frozen because we hadn't had power for about 15 hours at that point. So, my friend suggested I go to a local motorcycle shop and buy a generator that could keep the food alive and safe to eat for us and maybe a few lights (and I found I could also run my 60 inch flat screen in the living room And my TIVO which had 500 hours of stuff I had recorded over the last couple of years both movies, documentaries and news programs and favorite program series of all kinds.

But, it all turned out great. I bought a Yamaha 2200 Gasoline Generator at the motorcycle shop. It was a little expensive (but there is a saying you get what you pay for) and in this case I found this 1700 dollar generator likely the best one I have owned so far. It only burned about 2 to 2 1/2 gallons of gasoline (regular) in a 24 hour period also. Be sure to use ONLY regular gas in your generator because otherwise you will burn them up (not on fire but it won't work any more at a certain point.) And it is the quietest generator I have ever used. (Make sure someone puts gas and oil in your generator before you try to start it. The motorcycle shop took about 20 minutes to do this for us. And be sure to use ONLY regular Gasoline on a generator (unless it is a diesel).

Finally last night (Saturday night) the power went back on suddenly at about 9 pm last nigh so we had been without power since Thursday. By that time the temperature in the house had dropped to 63 degrees so by building a fire in the fireplace and wearing more clothes and not washing our hair until the power came back on we were able to stay warm enough to stay functional. Also, 6000 other homes and businesses were having to do the same thing to survive all this. So, you have to multiply the 6000 places by 2 or 3 people or more to make some sense about how many people (and all their relatives and friends that were affected by all this.)

Even though the power came back on the internet and Cable TV only came on within the last hour (Sunday Afternoon).

No comments: