Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Power out now this time around 36 hours so far. They said on the news we might get power tonight but not so far

 I think initially this was the most people from San Francisco to Big Sur that lost power that I can remember since around 1995 when I moved to this area last.

I looked at a map and at least 10,000 of the 14,000 originally that lost power still do not have power. However, if you drive around here where I live there are more trees down at one time across roads and through houses than at any other time I can remember going back to around 1994 or 1995.

So far, our generator is working fine. Nights are going to be colder without heat except for the fireplace but days are solar heating and we were able to go out on the back deck in 55 degrees with sun and warm up today for quite a while which was nice.

Generator still being run 24 hours a day with one or more lights and Wifi and Cable still working. I haven't got streaming services up through my Roku though simply because who knows when the next storm will knock out everything once more. Wifi and Cable TV came up by themselves this time with no work from me except plugging them into my generator through a surge protector. I find getting STreaming services to work after a power outage can be very daunting indeed and about 3 hours of time doing that. Often you have to redo your Wifi Codes into the Roku and then they need confirmation through your smart phone that you are who you say you are, then various other shenanigans for each one like Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney, HBO Max or whatever ones you are subscribed to. So, by the time you do all this it is three hours later and if you lose power again often you have to go through all this BS once again. So, I'm not doing it until the weather settles down a little and the ground dries up enough so trees won't fall when you breathe on them.

If I add the number of people that lost power yesterday from San Francisco south to big Sur it was around 150,000 homes and businesses.

Days are okay if you solar heat your place but nights are a little iffy but since we don't usually get temperatures below about 40 degrees much where I live the house usually stays above 60 Degrees Fahrenheit inside most areas.

No comments: