Sunday, March 12, 2023

The Next Atmospheric River to HIt California:

comes during monday night mostly into Tuesday Morning. What is predicted is 70 mile per hour gusts along the coasts with 20 to 40 mile per hour winds which likely will bring down more trees and power outages.

I'm personally better prepared than I was last Thursday when all this started. I had to do many things including buy another Gasoline powered Electrical Generator so I could at least save my food in my refrigerator. That's one of the interesting things. If you buy a generator from around 1000 to 2000 dollars or less it might pay for itself within a couple of days of running it 12 or 24 hours a day to save your food and to give you enough light maybe to light your kitchen.

When the atmospheric rivers hit in January hard I bought another Gasoline powered generator from Home Depot for around 1000 dollars but it leaked so much gasoline into the cement floor of my garage that it still smells a little like gasoline in there no matter what I do now. Also, it took several days to realize what exactly was leaking gas because I have another motorcycle and another Generator that no longer will start too and so I couldn't be sure because it wasn't obvious what was leaking. I found out it was leaking so slowly there was no puddle or even evidence of gasoline on the ground, only the smell of gasoline whenever you went into the garage.

So, we bought in January a plastic shed from Ace Hardware big enough to hold a good sized generator. However, now I bought a Yamaha 2200 Generator which is an inverter which can keep my refrigerator going through the days and nights by running it 24 hours a day. Also, it is quieter than anything else I have owned (I mostly have owned the bigger generators which are really loud so usually I only ran them from 9 am to 9 pm. But, this one was quiet enough to run 24 hours a day from the plastic shed I got at Ace hardware to keep the rain off it while it is running.

You don't want to run these things in the garage because it is hazardous in many different ways which is why I bought the plastic outdoor shed from Ace that is big enough to carry a good sized Generator.

Regarding the cords you need to have a good outdoor cord but keep the two ends of the cord ALWAYS out of the rain or water or this can cause you problems. As long as the cord has no nicks into wires or something the plastic coated cords should be safe enough in the rain or hail or snow enough to continue to power your refrigerator and a few lights (depending upon what size of generator you buy).

No comments: