Sunday, July 21, 2024

Santa Barbara to Boerne, Texas

Our friends left Santa Barbara yesterday heading to stay last night in Blythe, California on their way to Phoenix today. It's 1,417 miles to Texas where they live. We visited them a month or two ago now in Boerne Texas and our daughter in Austin, Texas nearby. We flew to San Diego and then to Austin and rented a Car in Austin, Texas then.

Though I have driven many times as far as Santa Fe, New Mexico where I graduated High school from a private boarding school there when I lived in Glendale, California in 1966 I have never driven past Albuquerque or Santa Fe, New Mexico ever. However, I have driven up into Canada to Lake Louise now Twice the last time in 2022. Everywhere east of Santa Fe, new MExico like Washington DC or Boston or Salem Massachusetts or now Texas or North Carolina I have flown to and rented a car there to see Texas and NOrth Carolina and Washington DC and Boston and Salem. We also went to Williamburg, Virginia to see the revolutionary war style housing with our daughter  in the early 2000s when she was little. It was where I saw my first fireflies in the U.S. in my life. My first experience with fireflies was in Helambu in the Himalayas in Nepal while trekking with my wife and 3 children then in 1986 for a week or two and traveling 50 miles across suspension bridges on foot them carrying backpacks to Tarke Gyan at around 9000 feet elevation then.

I also flew to Chicago in 1966 and 1967 to a church conference with a girlfriend then and her brother. It was cold because it was just after Christmas I believe. I stayed at a hotel downtown in the winter there and it was very cold. I was told not to expose my face to the cold or I would get frostbite on my face so I used a wool muffler when I got into the wind there then.

20 hr 24 min (1,417 miles)

via I-10 E

Fastest route now, avoids road closures on I-10 E
  • Your destination is in a different time zone.

No comments: