Sunday, May 31, 2009

Truth Saves

I have found in my own life that even being able to name what is bothering me can mostly free me from whatever it was that was bothering me.

In our complicated lives from birth, often we do not even know what we are upset about. It can come from as far back as conception on and have been bothering us until it is triggered by some experience or another we have. However, to gain control of our lives enough so we don't feel totally out of control and victimized, it is important to at least try to find out what is bothering us. If we can often just name what is upsetting us we can then move on having understood it at least in our minds and emotions.

For me, nothing is worse than not knowing at all what is wrong. People who are religious might say to me something like "Jesus Saves" or even "God is in control" so you don't need to know. And yes, sometimes that works for me. However, I also believe that "God helps those who help themselves". So what this means to me is that if God doesn't immediately solve my problems then I need to start solving them myself. I need to be a mature person and look for the answers and that God arranged things for me to be an adult so I could solve my own problems too.

So, for me, to be able to analyze a problem, and to gather enough facts, causes me to become empowered and to cease being a victim. And yes, there are times when life just becomes too overwhelming and I will then as I go to sleep at night say to God, "This is just too crazy, God. You need to help me or I don't want to live anymore." Usually when I do this I wake up in the morning a new person with a new perspective ready to face the world again. But in these times being able to completely let go like I'm dying when I go to sleep, seems to press the reset Button within me so I can start completely over the next morning as a fresh new person in both my own eyes and God's.

No comments: