Thursday, May 14, 2009

Epileptic, Trancer, Catatonic, hypnotic etc.

One of my best friends got a Master's Degree from UCLA during the 1970s in History of Religion, specializing in Buddhism and Sanskrit which he became a master at translating into English, his native tongue.

He said that Historically speaking, All the most successful religious figures down through recorded history tended to have one of these capacities. He said it seemed that it was necessary in order to have some concrete awareness of life after death, of angels, of God etc. With all these capacities, infirmities(whatever you want to call them) great spiritual and religious teachers emerged.

For example, both Jesus and Mohammad are historically both considered to have been epileptics.

Since I had childhood epilepsy I can understand a little of what this all was about. There is what is called an aura before one has a seizure that can take one to the place that is between the physical world and life after death. Though, for me, an aura was (at the time) one of the most terrifying experiences while I had childhood epilepsy between ages 10 to 15, after I grew out of having seizures at age 15 I returned to that state of consciousness sometimes in meditation and was visited by angels, Jesus and God while in this similar kind of state to an aura only without any fear of having a seizure.

So, I think I agree with this historical premise that was taught in Universities throughout the United States in the 1970s in regard to History of Religion. It might still be taught all over as well.

However, in order to attain this place of direct communication in detail, I believe there could be no medicine used to control seizures. I could be wrong but I presently believe that taking anti-seizure medications prevents these kinds of states of consciousness in epileptic humans. If God and angels are real, who doesn't want to experience these kinds of states of consciousness first hand?

However, if you are an epileptic and if you are going to drive a car it is only fair to the rest of us on the road that you take anti-seizure meds before driving if it is prescribed for you. If you are going to experiment with natural spiritual states of consciousness you should only do that when you don't plan to drive for a weekend or something and then take your meds before driving.

No comments: