Saturday, May 30, 2009

Working

I started working as a paperboy at age 10. Then I remember at age 12 working one saturday for $1 an hour digging ditches for a new house with 2 friends. By the end of the day our hands were blistered and bleeding. $8 did not seem at all enough for the week or more it took my hands to heal but at least I felt like a man at 12. My friends and I after age 12 managed to get various kinds of jobs after school on weekends because that meant, movies, bikes, cars and starting at age 15, girlfriends. I was 15 in 1963. Getting a job then was relatively easy, not like now where 50 year olds steal those jobs away easily from 15 to 20 year olds unless those jobs come from relatives or parents. By age 21 I was so exhausted from working so much I was ready to retire. However, what it did do was to teach me by 21 I wanted to be my own boss, which I became more and more regularly after my late 20s, until by age 45 I had owned 5 businesses since my late 20s. Owning and running my own business made me happier than any job I ever had in my life.

No comments: