Saturday, July 25, 2009

California 7-25-09

The poor are leaving California now but I don't know how far they will get. Maybe to the edge of town to live in a tent, maybe to a relative or friends apartment in another state with a functioning welfare system. Or maybe they've had enough and will just end it all.

Yes. These are the times we live in and at least in California it looks more and more like the 1930s all over again. Yes. There are those of us like myself that are still okay because we had parents and grandparents that actually lived through the Great Depression and so prepared us in every way in case it happened again by brainwashing us during the 1950s and ever since for baby boomers like myself. So, luckily we are prepared because of the sufferings of our parents for times like these. However, many younger people under about 40 are not so lucky as we to have had such determined forebears that made sure we did not forget the Great Depression or World War II.

As the taxes raise as they inevitably must businesses will be the next to leave California. Because, being a state it isn't allowed to go bankrupt because it can always raise taxes. So, as the taxes raise businesses will leave. It appears inevitable now.

6 months from now California will go through all this once again trying to balance the books but by then they likely will have no choice but to raise taxes.

However, for now, maybe the IOUs will stop and state contractors will once again be paid with real money. So I guess that's a good thing.

Even with all this I still prefer to live in California because here I feel free and I understand here what is expected of me. The further east I travel the less I understand what is going on and what is expected of me. I found myself in North Carolina wondering what level of politelness was really happening and what it meant. I never figured it out.

In Massachusetts men seemed angry with attitude all the time. In California I think there is just more wide open spaces so people just don't have to get so testy all the time. A man in North Carolina from the north said to me, "You've got to watch out for me." I had no problem with that. I had a lot more problem with northern attitudes because I couldn't figure out what was going on. Everyone just seemed pretty pissed off. However, it might just be the terrible recession because it wasn't this way 10 years ago. But it is now.

Anyway, I like California because I can usually see mountains and wide open spaces that I like. My father bought 2 1/2 acres in the desert because he could see about 50 miles in one direction from his property. He would look 50 miles to the east and say to me, "Isn't that a wonderful view?" and I would say, "Yeah. It's beautiful, Dad." He's been gone since 1985 now when I was 37 and Mom passed away this year. "I still like the views in California, Dad!"

No comments: