Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Pocket Dalai Lama 7-26-09

I bought a 3 inch by 2 1/2 inch copy of "The Pocket Dalai Lama" by Shambhala Pocket Classics at the Art Museum while my wife was looking at Dutch sailing Classics of the 1600s and 1700s. She has two art degrees and an MBA and is interested in such things.

I bought "The Pocket Dalai Lama" because I needed something familiar because I was feeling a little at loose ends on the East Coast of the U.S. and very out of my element because I have never lived there. I have lived in the Seattle area(first 4 years) then mostly California with about one year in Santa Fe, New Mexico and about another year on the Big Island of Hawaii and Maui. So, the east coast is far from my comfort zone.

I have been keeping the book in my heart pocket on my shirts as I traveled since Salem which has been about a week so far. Now I'm back home on the Northern California coast about one mile from the ocean where once again I can hear the sea lions many nights and see the stars whenever the high summer coastal fog retreats. I greatly enjoy the fresh air off the ocean blowing eastward and the crisp ocean air. However, I greatly miss the warmer east coast weather which reduced my 61 year old bodies aches and pains by about 75%. I would have to go to Los angeles, Santa Barbara or the Desert to have that experience right now in California.

This is the second morning back home in California after our 2 week sojourn to the east coast of the united States from North Carolina all the way up to Salem, Massachusetts and everything in between.

As I awoke this morning I saw the smiling face of the Dalai Lama on the book and he said clearly to me, "Listen to 'The House of the Seven Gables'" I thought this a strange request at the time but have learned through years of experience when a holy man or woman(Jesus, angels,Masters etc.) speak to me through a photo or drawing of them to take them seriously. So, I dutifully listened to a few chapters of "The House of the Seven Gables" and soon realized he was teaching me about karma. In this illustration Mr. Maul was hanged as a wizard or witch and Mr. Pinchon, a rich man stood happily by while this happened then acquired Mr. Maul's properties as soon as he was hung as a witch and proceeded to tear down his house and build the house of the seven gables. What is even stranger was that Mr. Maul's son was hired to build the house for Mr. Pinchon. Stranger still just before being hanged Mr. Maul cursed Mr. Pinchon to "Drink Blood" which meant he considered himself wronged by Mr. Pinchon. Later after the house was built Mr. Pinchon did drink blood as he died in his office in the house of the seven gables.

I had a conversation in my head with the Dalai Lama and it went something like this: "As you can see, Fred, Karma is also revenge. However, for an evolved being the point is to go beyond karma. The past should be forgotten so that infinite states of revenge aren't created for beings to endure. As a holy person you must learn to "let sleeping dogs lie". In otherwords don't activate anger hatred cycles of retribution when it isn't necessary. There is only now. The past is gone. The future isn't here yet. There is only now and all must do the best with now that they can. Being a holy person is about creating infinite states of grace for all beings for miles and miles around. In this way we lift up all mankind into a permanent state of grace for all beings."

I felt very honored and amazed by this exchange and asked almost immediately if I could share this newfound wisdom. This request was honored.

No comments: