Friday, July 17, 2009

The House of the Seven Gables

I recently was in Salem, Ma. and went to the house of the Seven Gables that Nathanial Hawthorne wrote about during the early to middle 1800s. His female cousing then owned the house that was first built during the 1600s by a rich sea captain. While visiting Salem I went on a tour through it with a guide. I found it well worth my while and afterwords went to Nathanial Hawthorne's childhood home on the same property both of which look out upon the water and boat harbor there in Salem. The weather was cooler than normal this summer which made it especially nice for me and my family and though humid being near the ocean the temperatures stayed mostly between 70 to 80 Farenheit during the days so it was very pleasant. An almost constant breeze off the sea made this stay a very pleasant one only interrupted by a few flashes of lightning and very light white caps on the ocean one day. A very pleasant stay. I also bought a cd set of Nathanial Hawthorne's book "The House of the Seven Gables" at the museum store right next his house and the house of the Seven Gables in Salem, Ma.

No comments: