Monday, July 20, 2009

Paul Krugman

Paul Krugman writes for the New York Times. I was listening to him talk when interviewed by Stephen Colbert on his show. He was saying how the Tarp money was enough to save us from another Great Depression but not enough to create a recovery and that there is no recovery on the horizon so far.

Whether that is true or not I cannot say but I think there are several economists who share his view. I think to make full sense of what is happening world wide one must plug in many factors. First, Global warming is changing all the rules worldwide. Just look at how weird worldwide weather is in regard to both droughts and rain. 2nd I think the full cost of the terrorist wars are coming home to roost in the western world. The people fighting us are using Kalashnikov rifles and suicide bombs which are very inexpensive compared to predator drones with hellfire missiles to assassinate terrorist leaders in Pakistan.

Financially and in blood I don't think this is a war that the western world can win the way it is presently being fought. The best that can be done is to slow it down and grind both sides to a stalemate much like during World War I. However, if it is a stalemate the western world can only go bankrupt fighting the way we presently are. The whole process of what warfare actually is needs to be completely rethought to create anything useful to anyone in the end.

I think what society is is in the process of change, extreme change. I don't know what it will turn into but I can see and feel the movement toward something we haven't seen before worldwide. And the present way the west is fighting the terrorist war will not give us what we want and it will not give the other side what they want. The likely end to the way things are going is something crazy like starvation for half of mankind. That appears to be where this is all going now.

We need some new ideas for steering the future of the human race. Otherwise, we may watch up to half of the population of earth slowly die of starvation over this next century. I'm 61. At most I'll see another 40 years of it. I wouldn't want to be a child now and watch 3 billion people starve. I just wouldn't want that experience.

All of you young people out there let's think of a better way to solve the world's problems. Let's find a better way!

No comments: