Friday, December 14, 2012

Home Schooling as a way to protect Children from Harm

Are your children safe in Public Schools? Probably not.

Though the likelihood of them being murdered like the ones in Connecticut is about like the chances of being struck by lightning, the chances of them being bullied, psychologically damaged, or killed or wounded by other children or students is about 100% because that is just the environment within all public schools. I was lucky because I was always big for my age and so I only had worry about kids bigger and older than I and not really kids my own age while I was in public school from Kindergarten to my Junior Year in High School. In my senior Year I went to a religious college prep school for my last year.

However, I never forgot just how bad it was in public school growing up in the 1950s from age 2 to 12 years of age and living through the "Grease" era of the early 1960s and the "Surfer" era in the mid 1960s in High School in Glendale in the Los Angeles Area. But, I must also say that Glendale at that time had scholastically the best public schools in that area at that time.

So, I know first hand how difficult it can be and because I was big I had to rescue a lot of my friends from being bloodied by bullies because I was always one of the tallest in my class.

So, viewing the Connecticut story today which is horrific for everyone worldwide makes me think that when my 2nd wife and I pulled our 3 children out of school after an 8th grader broke a 4th graders jaw where we lived is still a very good idea even today. In 1980 when this happened we pulled all three kids out of school, kindergarten, 2nd grade and 3rd grade and home school them all until the oldest was 12 using an independent study course for our kids from "Oak Meadow School". I have never regretted doing this. Home Schooling really changed all our kids lives for the better. However, I'm not sure I would have done this if I had only one child unless one had a group of parents that were on independent study or in a home schooling environment together. Children need socialization in order to make it through junior High and High School and into college to be successful adults.

However, I don't think it is necessary to expose your children to everything that I had to experience that happened to me and my friends in the 1950s, where you come out of that ready for the Viet Nam War or something like that, where every child is ready to pick up a gun and kill if they have to if they are boys.

No. That was really terrible. So, I think allowing your children to grow up as gentlemen and ladies ready to go to college with people who actually want to be there likely is the best way to go. Here is Oak Meadow School today if you are interested.

Oak Meadow: Homeschooling Curriculum, Resources, and Support

www.oakmeadow.com/
Creative homeschooling curriculum and fully accredited K-12 school. Project-based, innovative materials for your home-based educational journey.

No comments: