Tuesday, November 21, 2017

1941 Buick like my Dad drove until 1956 in California

 I can remember standing up at age 2 on the back seat behind my father while he drove then. But, when he went around corners fast it through me against the window winder in the back seat. But, I couldn't cry when the window winder hit my face because I had to be a "little man" around my Dad because that was how it was then. My mother didn't learn to drive until 1954 in this car with a column stick shift. I remember her learning to drive with me in the front seat at age 6 and me hitting the windshield with my face as she ran over a mailbox. Women had to be pretty determined to learn to drive then and to do whatever it took. I didn't cry then either because it wouldn't have been appropriate. I needed to encourage my mother even at age 6 in successfully driving a car. Part of the reason she was learning to drive is she lost me in a Bullock's department store in Los Angeles for an hour while we were taking a bus from the church on Hope Street back to Tujunga where we lived then when I was 6.
Image result for blue 1941 buick

No comments: