Thursday, December 21, 2017

What Brings me peace even when there appears to be chaos

Is I think back about going into the wilderness in 1983 with the clothes on my back and a sleeping bag with no water or food or even a tent, except for a ground cloth and then not eating or drinking anything including water for 4 days while doing a vision quest on the edge of the Trinity River there in a Bear Wallow. When it rained one night I dug down in the sand under a huge fallen Cedar tree for shelter from the rain. But, luckily the rain was light and not heavy so the ground didn't get soaked and my sleeping bag stayed dry there under the fallen huge Cedar tree about 6 feet through.

So, strangely enough, the shelter of just being in the wilderness with all the wild animals gave me peace and still gives me peace now.

Why?

Because I realized I really only needed the wilderness. I didn't need food, I didn't need water, I didn't need people (at least for 4 days time).

So, when I see people panicking over things I just think back about how little a person needs to have peace. The wilderness in the Summertime is enough to give one peace, without books, without cell phones, without electronics of any kind.

And it has always been this way for thousands and thousands of years already.

So, as long as there is wilderness that I can retreat to (with or without food and water) I know I'll be okay.

So, the biggest thing is to maintain places of wilderness on the planet because after they are all gone, everyone will be more insane all the time.

So, at least for me sanity is the wilderness and the more people around the more insane and unpredictable life becomes.

So, just remember there is always peace and solace in wilderness all over the world. So, whatever we can do to keep the wildernesses of the world intact the more people are going to be sane still around the world.

Cities tend to make people crazy because they get too out of touch with nature and reality.

One way to view this is everything people build is an art form. (homes, cars, freeways, buildings, roads). So, one could make the argument that everything people build is not ultimately real (in a permanent sense)

But, that is not nature and wilderness.

Wilderness is what is left even if there were no human beings left on the planet at all.

So, during wars often it is the people who retreat into the wildernesses of the world who survive to live on.

No comments: