Saturday, October 15, 2011

Walden from 2 1/2 men

Because I live in California and used to Skin Dive and Surf at Malibu during the 1960s and early 1970s when I grew up in nearby Glendale I can relate to the Walden Schmidt? Charactor played by Ashton Kutcher on 2 1/2 men. I find his extreme intelligence combined with his childlike demeanor sort of a truism among many playful yet intelligent and creative internet types. Though I liked Charlie Sheen's character too, it reminded me more of some of the guys I grew up with in Los Angeles to whom women were fun toys but not taken that seriously usually. Whereas Walden actually values women in a very deep way and you can see this in how deeply he values his estranged wife, Bridget. He sees the real value of all women and they love his romantic childlike nature. They love the fact that he is lovable and intelligent and rich as a billionaire and yet vulnerable. He actually needs a woman to make his life complete. But if his wife Bridget isn't there he will also find another and another to be with until either Bridget comes back to him or he finds another soul mate. I relate to Walden because my own nature in my 20s wasn't too different from Walden before I got married and started having kids. Many of my friends who didn't have children or are just living together without kids remind me a lot of Walden also. Very creative people are often sort of like the Big Bang theory characters. When you have a lot of brains and creativity often other parts of you don't work as well in compensation. No one usually has it all. We all have some components of a perfect life. It's what we all do with the hand we are dealt that makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: