Saturday, June 23, 2012

Exercise: The natural Antidepressant

When my ex-wife and I broke up finally in 1994 I found this incredibly stressful to the point of wondering if I was going to survive the divorce and child custody battle that ensued. Since I had already seen the horror stories of teenagers on Prosac and other mood altering drugs like Zoloft, Wellbutrin and all the others when I was a counselor of emotionally disturbed teenagers to the point where I wanted to throw up, I knew I would NEVER take antidepressants mainly because it causes a person's brain to biochemically rewire so one no longer can get in touch properly with their emotions ever. Though I can understand why people might take mood altering drugs rather than commit suicide. But even then the advantage is never for the person taking the drug. The advantage is for all that person's friends and relatives who won't be tempted to commit suicide too. But, for the person taking the antidepressant they can kiss all emotional normalcy permanently goodbye because their brains become permanently biochemically rewired away from anything humans have ever been before in recorded history. And since about 25% of the people in the U.S. are presently on Anti-depressants we have a somewhat permanent mutant class in regard to how their brains process emotional responses. And I guess my question might be: "If people whose brains are biochemically rewired by taking mood altering prescriptions have any children will their brains be born biochemically rewired too so they can't experience or get in touch with their emotions properly, or are they like their parents were before they took the mood altering drugs? I have never heard this question asked so I don't know if this has been researched. So, what I'm saying is that this mutation might be passed along to their biological children or not. And my question also is: "Is not being able to connect properly to your feelings useful or does this cause a type of societal  dysfunctionality to the human race in general ongoing?". I think it would take Sociologists and Anthropologists to answer this question after much research. However, who would fund this research?

I also don't know the answer to this question either. However, I think all these questions are important ones to ask if we wish the human race to survive the next 500 years without going extinct.

So, since humans are designed to walk and run a lot down through history. It might be useful to use the natural way to stay functional which is to get exercise in fun ways. Not exercising causes depression and sometimes suicide. When one exercises it creates a sense of well being, especially if one is walking out in nature somewhere like in the mountains, along the ocean or along a river or other beautiful places. So by exercising doing something fun alone or with a friend or two one can enjoy nature and breathe fresh air and lengthen their lives while being happy being out in nature.

During the summer when it might be too hot during the day, go out in the evening or at night or very early in the morning rather than get overheated. There is always a way to have fun exercising and one of the bi-products is the naturally anti-depressant affect that all our ancestors knew so well.

So, I think it is much better to be naturally happy rather than unnaturally unhappy.

Another thing I did when I went through my divorce was to take Super B-Complex designed for Super Stress. These types of B-Complex vitamins have things like Valerian Root and other herbs that are calmative in nature. Another thing that some people like is St. John's Wort. By doing natural things to deal with stress and depression you are much more likely to want to stay alive.

For example, going onto or off mood altering drugs many people tend to feel so strange to themselves that they kill themselves or others. I'm 6 feet 5 inches tall and about twice as strong as most human beings. I don't want to feel like a threat to myself or others. So this is another reason why I would never take mood altering drugs even if  prescribed by a doctor.

So, if you want to live to 100 or beyond, doing it naturally might be the best. So, by having a good diet, getting enough sleep, and getting exercise in fun ways you may turn out to be one of the lucky ones that makes it to 100 or even 150. Likely it is going to be a baby Boomer that makes it to 150 first for a variety of reasons.

No comments: