Saturday, June 30, 2012

Tips on Organic Raw Vegan Juicing

If you don't know what Vegan means it simply means only fruits and vegetables and raw just means nothing is cooked and organic means no sprays (herbicides or pesticides used in growing what you are eating or drinking).

For a more complete understanding of what I'm attempting to do please read the following:

I started out with a Breville Juicer (1000 watt) which I bought through amazon.com for around 300 dollars which saved me about 100 dollars to do it this way. Because of an Amazon Prime account(which is sort of like Netflix) only you can buy a movie online for a night or own a digital copy on your computer. Because of this (which is about 80 dollars a year everything bought from amazon.com is free shipping after that). And since there is no sales tax through amazon.com this is sort of a good deal.

The Breville juicer that I bought is mostly stainless steel and so fairly easy to clean without worrying much about breaking anything while cleaning it. However, you do have to be very careful on a variety of levels of the primary component which is the combination grinding wheel with teeth and stainless steel sieve component.  So, I have found that using the brush lightly over the sieve part while running water over it and through the sieve cleans it the best. But you do have to be careful of the sieve even though it is very well made.

Since one of the easiest ways to get sick doing this kind of vegan juicing diet is to use soap on your juicer parts and not get the soap all off I decided to use only thorough cleaning and hot water instead. Another problem that you might encounter is that as you do this diet (especially the first few days as you become accustomed to it) you might feel kind of altered or spacey at times so you will have to find ways to deal with this. Outdoor exercise in beautiful places I find to be the best for clearing your head. This diet packs so much energy into your body that a lot of times you feel like you just drank two cups of coffee only without the heartburn and coffee crash afterwards. You will usually sleep much better than normal also. Also, as an intuitive my experience is that when I walk into the forest instead of picking out all the trees and plants and animals as individual beings I find that during this raw vegan organic juice fast that I feel like I am more deeply connected with the forest like we are all sharing the same subconscious states of consciousness. It reminds me a lot of when I did a vision quest around 1983 under the tutelage of a Native American Medicine man. Though he was about 4 to 5 miles away while I did not eat or drink water or anything for 4 days and nights I felt some of the same things as I walked through the forest on this diet of becoming one with the forest in a very deep way where I felt there was no way to really separate everything living in the forest from me on any spiritual level.

Also, though many younger people who do this diet have to work or go to school and have to make enough vegan organic juice for them to drink all day I have the luxury because I'm retired to make it only as I need it. However, doing this I'm learning a trick which is the sooner you clean your juicer the easier it is to clean after using. So, after I'm done juicing I clean all the major parts about 75% right then. Then after I finish my vegan juice I clean the other 25%. I find doing this is about half as much work as waiting 5 minutes to 20 minutes or more before cleaning all the parts. Another thing I wasn't counting on is just how much work it is to clean everything or how much space in my kitchen about 100 dollars worth of organic vegetables and fruits take up.

I decided that since I'm going to have to buy new organic fruits and veggies about every 2 days or so that I wasn't going to refrigerate them. Instead I decided to put them in water much like you would put a rose in water to keep it fresh in a vase. This keeps almost everything from wilting, especially leafy things like kale and celery and spearmint.

Like I said before the thing you notice with this diet is that you feel much more alive doing this than normal. The other thing you notice is that every time you exert yourself you feel the fat burning off your body in different places. So, sometimes just before your body does this you might feel tired and then your body will just start to burn away another area of fat to keep you going. So, in all ways this is a very healthy diet and extremely cleaning and purifying of your whole body and if you are naturally a very spiritual person like me then if you are in the right kind of safe environment it is a really wonderful experience once you get used to it.

This so far really works for me and if you want to be healthier or want to lose weight this might work for you too.

5:30 Pm same day

I find I'm having to modify this juice fast because of being 64 and because my doctor wants me to lose weight. Joe Cross was about 40 in 2007 I believe when he did this diet and lost about 100 pounds over three months. I believe he lost 30 in the first 14 days and had lost 60 by 2 months and within the next month or two lost the last pounds during the next few months after that. So, it appears the last few pounds he lost were the hardest to shed and the first 30 were the easiest.

So, I'm modifying the diet because when I feel too lightheaded it is from one of two reasons. 1. either I need some exercise because this is a very high energy diet and might make a person spacey if they aren't exercising enough. or 2. Sometimes I can tell my body is having some sort of difficulty. So, my solution rather than to completely go off this diet is to slightly modify it. One of the things not in this diet is fat and a body needs a certain amount of fat but good fat like is in an avocado. So, when I start to feel in distress sometimes I will eat an organic avocado. Today I sensed I needed protein and so I went out to Jamba Juice and got a Banana Berry Smoothie which had berries and blueberries as well as bananas and with two shots of protein. I'm doing this so I can stay on this diet and stay functional rather than going off it. That is my strategy so far. If you are fairly healthy and under 45 you might not have to do this. But since my doctor told me that I needed to lose weight because I'm 64 that I had to find some way to do this. So, by slightly modifying this diet so I can survive it at age 64 that is what I'm doing.

However, I do like how energized I feel. I have gone from walking about 1 mile or more a day to 3 miles or more a day now because of just how energizing the micro-nutrients are on this organic veggie and organic fruit diet. Also, I used to live in Hawaii and anything that can include Papayas and Mangoes I'm for. The only thing missing is coconut but likely that could be included too somehow in this diet. We'll see.  By including things that I really love like blueberries, raspberries, papayas and mangoes and carrots for juicing and apples for juicing it makes Kale and ginger and cucumbers and celery more palatable as a part of it. By the way if you are doing the Joe Cross diet be careful how much ginger you put in the first time you make juice. He says to put a thumbs worth in but I find I like about a piece about the size that would fit inside of a thimble.

The other thing I noticed was that when my wife usually comes back from southern California on a business trip there usually we have difficulty settling down together again without an argument. However, because of this diet my physical pain is gone from being 64 because of my diet so I don't feel the need to argue with her to move from the more bachelor headspace of her being gone for a week to a more married headspace of her and I both being the heads of the household once again. So, the state of consciousness that I physically find myself in in regard to body pain takes me back to how I felt at 15 or 25. I guess most of what I called "Age appropriate pain" was really just built up toxins in my body that my body was not able to cleanse without going on some type of fast. Luckily for me, a vegan veggie and juice fast allows the body to cleanse and eliminate all the toxin buildup since I fasted last in the late 1980s and early 1990s in my early 40s. So, harmony is one of the results of this vegan veggie and fruit fast ongoing.

Low blood sugar prevented me from doing fasts since then. However, because I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started taking armour thyroid by prescription from Canada 6 years ago my low blood sugar problem is gone because it was related to the complete hormonal imbalance when your thyroid gland isn't working right because the thyroid gland partly governs hormonal balance in both men and women. So, now since I have no blood sugar problems like hypoglycemia this isn't a problem anymore.

But one of the reasons my doctor wanted me to lose weight is because of elevated blood pressure. Though it isn't a problem yet he and I don't want it to become one so losing weight is one way to fix that.

Also: Though I don't know if he juices organic Vegan vegetables and  fruits President Clinton also became a Vegan so he could stay alive and healthy and energized after heart bipass surgery and being a life long junk food junkie like eating at McDonalds all the time and stuff like that. So, he has lost weight and is still going strong and full of energy in his mid to late 60s.

Note: It is now July 4th and the 7th day of my juice fast and I'm finding that even though I changed the water regularly on my vegetables in water that some sort of blight is attacking my vegetables so I'm emptying the water washing the stainless steel large salad bowl and putting the rest of my vegetables in the refrigerator for now.  Also, I went off my diet some so I could have a 4th of July dinner with my family. My son made home made enchiladas and I couldn't resist but now it is midnight just after the 4th so I'm back on my Vegan Juice diet.

No comments: