Tuesday, August 25, 2015

shots

I'm usually good with shots because I know how to relax so they don't hurt me much. It's mostly mind over matter (especially as an adult). So, the first shot was fine in the right arm. That went smoothly but then the one into the left arm must have hit a nerve and this one sort of took me to an unexpected place of feeling like I might be going into shock and passing out. I have never experienced this before but then again a lot has happened to me this year like a burst appendix, and laproscopic surgery and a long recovery and also from the surgery a hernia above the navel about two inches to the right caused in after affect of the surgery. I'm very lucky though I didn't have to deal with 3 months in a hospital with sepsis or anything like that. I have an extremely strong immune system from not having any shots at all until I was 15. However, today I had Hep A and B follow up because I'm going overseas within the next month or two.

So, as you age you have to deal with your body reacting differently than it did before. And through this adaptation (whether it is watching more carefully what you eat or the amount of weight you are picking up) or moving or how hard and how long you are working is important if you want to stay alive and functional.

I first noticed the changes happening at about age 37 when I did (what used to be a normal rock climbing move) but instead tore loose muscles from the back of my knee and luckily only fell into the ocean (because my leg stopped being functional) and fell into the ocean and almost drowned because I couldn't use my right leg to kick so the surf pounded me and I almost drowned getting to shore. But, at least I survived and didn't fall 20 or 30 feet onto the ground.

So, I would say if you are a very physical person like I have always been with a whole lot of muscle memory from lifting and moving fast long distances you still have to watch carefully in a holistic way how your body is functioning on a daily basis. You can't just keep acting like you are 25 and survive it especially over 50. This is a given.

So, if you want the chance to live a long life to 100 be sure to monitor yourself very carefully over about 35. It's all about adaptation. It's adapt or die at every point after about 35 or 40.

No comments: