There likely are many reasons but the first and foremost is it is going to run much faster than most newer languages.
It is more simplistic than most languages now. Both Fortran and Cobol were two of the first really useful languages to scientists and business people (Fortran for Science) and (Cobol for business)
Most languages now are much more complex and have multiple things going on that Fortran and Cobol wouldn't even worry about.
It's about reliability of your programs too. For example, both Cobol and Fortran are like VW Bugs in that they will start up immediately no matter what is going on in any kind of situation. Whereas more complex and recent programming languages have the same problems as complex luxury cars. Yes. They do a lot but it's like my 2000 Lexus SUV (This was the most wonderful car I have ever owned) But, when they wanted to charge me 2500 dollars for each headlight assembly in the front of my car i sold it. Because when you have things this complex, when something goes wrong it becomes a problem. But, my perfect 2000 Lexus RX-300 gave me the best service of any car I have ever owned for 10 years straight.
But, for pure pleasure of a 20 year old in 1968, my 1968 Camaro gave me a kind of pleasure no other car could as I rolled along one time at 145 miles per hour. But, that's a 20 something fantasy. Whereas no other car could stay on the road as well as my 2000 RX-300 in rain or snow and anyone who tried to compete with this full time 4 wheel drive vehicle often just spun out. So, this was the most amazing SUV I have ever driven in rain or snow ever in my life.
Anyway, as programming languages can do more things they also become more cumbersome in some ways too.
So, Fortran and Cobol are like an old VW Bug that would never break down and start the first time even if your job was below zero outside. So, these programming languages are reliable in a way newer languages might not be able to compete including speed of execution of commands.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- how do you change batteries on a black diamond headlamp?
- NordicTrack and Weight lifting
- Limitless pills (like the movie are for real) however, caution is advised (deleted article)
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- The Fox News general who 'spooked' Trump out of attacking Iran
- A former 'Mythbuster' built his own bulletproof Iron Man suit. It can fly, too.
- Iranian boats attempted to seize British tanker
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- Europe's 5G difference: Unlimited data without a big surcharge
- US Credit Cards With Smart Chip Technology