Monday, July 13, 2020

A Record Breaking 121 degrees for Palm Springs yesterday

Hottest it's ever been on that date ever!

Have you ever been in 120 or 121 degrees? I have more than once in Palm Springs and in Arizona. But, it's not something I prefer to do where it's still at least 100 degrees at midnight when it does that and likely not below 95 degrees at 6 am either. So, the only relief on a day like that is to work from about 10pm to 6 am if you have to work outside at all and survive it. So, construction people often do this so they don't die or have to go to the hospital with heat prostration or worse.

But, in Northern California along the coast this means highs of around 60 to 65 on days like today with overcast fog and clouds. Why?

Because the heat inland sucks the fog and moisture off the ocean and this reduces our temperatures in the summers here from about San Francisco down to around Santa Barbara or so. So, the hotter it gets inland the cooler it tends to get from San Francisco down to around Santa Barbara. Today it was 78 in Santa Barbara but tomorrow it will be only 71 because of the increasing heat inland now.

It was 121 degrees Fahrenheit in Death Valley just today too by the way and 110 in Las Vegas, Nevada and 115 in Palm Springs today.

If you are not used to these temperatures be very careful if you are out in them for very long because at a certain point your brain just stops working. So, be very careful if you are traveling through temperatures like this. If you don't have air conditioning in your car or truck try to drive through the night because you have more of a chance to survive it that way.

I remember driving just through 111 degrees Fahrenheit with my whole family to Las Vegas and how vulnerable I felt driving between San Bernadino and Las Vegas during the day time (and I had an air condtioner in my 2000 Lexus then) but my daughters were young because it was the early 2000s and I was scared in case anything happened, how I would keep them alive until help came in that high a temperature? I know what to do for myself but when children are involved it's a whole different story.

How long can you survive in Death Valley?
As the film says, Death Valley is not a place you want to be without water, as while a human can survive three days without water, in this desert you can live just 14 hours.Feb 1, 2014
end partial quote from:
I think what they are trying to say about about the 14 hours is that Death Valley is up to 300 feet below sea level which changes things a lot in that it is much hotter and drier than any place in the 50 U.S. states. Because of this you can only go 14 hours without water without dying on average I would say during the summers.

No comments: