Thursday, August 27, 2020

Deer or Elk with Antlers also can be fatal to your dog

I haven't seen personally (except on a video) of a dog attacking a deer with antlers and often it is fatal for the dog when this happens because it will puncture their lungs with the antlers when the deer gets them on the side. If you see deer with Antlers it's important to know that they know how to use them to kill. (the same with Elk and Moose). But, the likelihood that your dog will tangle with a moose is very small. I have stood next to a teenage moose as it walked by me and I'm 6 foot 5 inches tall and the top of my head only reached this teenage moose's shoulder and I didn't feel exactly safe as it walked by within a few feet of me either in Teton National Park.

But, I have seen a dog that had been gored by a buck deer with antlers near where I live on the California coast. The young 13 year old girl had let her dog run free (maybe he was okay around people) but when he chased a deer with Antlers it was possibly in the end a fatal mistake. But, he was still running sideways home when I saw him and the girl crying hysterically at what had happened running after him.

The dog had a patch of flesh over one side over his lungs and chest hanging loose flapping in the wind (likely around 1 foot square of flesh torn loose) and the dog was running sideways because it was in too much pain to do anything else while running home. I asked the girl if I could help and she said "No" because I was riding my mountain bike when I saw this within a mile of my home on the coast. So, I don't know if the dog survived his attack on the deer with antlers or not. Deer usually won't attack you unless they are defending babies but they will defend themselves and are quite capable of defending themselves against almost anything or anyone unless it is a mountain lion.

When your dog off leash attacks a deer or elk with horns it is often fatal for the dog. This is important to know so you can protect your dog from a fatal injury. It really doesn't matter how big the dog is either those horns are easily fatal for almost any dog I have ever seen. It's like running into spears or long knives in a pattern.

No comments: