I was reading that Steve Jobs decided to live this way when he was 17 by "Trying to live each day like it was his last". Though I also saw the usefulness of this way of thinking around this same age, life has a way of putting us through many remarkable changes throughout our lives. So, I think I was 50 years old and had almost died for 7 months before I actually lived like this every moment of every day all the time ever since. I must say it is a remarkable cure for "Middle aged crazy" which is caused by the deep realization that you are not going to live as a young person(under 30 or 40) forever. I have watched many people including myself become very sort of crazy during this time watching myself move towards some kind of ending or conclusion that I could no longer avoid in any kind of useful fantasy anymore. So, once again living each day as if it were your last is a sort of Zen kind of living. Here is a story that typifies this kind of thinking:
"There was a young Buddhist monk who was being chased by a Tiger and so the Tiger chased him over the cliff. He found himself looking up at one Tiger and at the base of the cliff there was another Tiger waiting for him to fall and eat him. The monk was hanging by a strawberry plant over the cliff that was slowly giving way and he spied a beautiful strawberry there before him. What did he do? He ate the strawberry!"
This is a story about living each day as if it were your last, because likely this was the last day of this monks life. By eating the strawberry we make the moment an important one. If all we ever do is run from the Tigers then the Tigers have won. But by changing the conversation and eating the strawberry, we win!
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- more on the Planet Savers and Elohar: the girl in the forest
- US Credit Cards With Smart Chip Technology
- how do you change batteries on a black diamond headlamp?
- Coronavirus cases spike as China sacks senior officials
- Chuck Lorre Productions #264 and #265
- February 3 coronavirus news
- The Radical Possibilities of Not Paying Your Student Loans
- An Increase of 15,000 cases of Coronavirus in China in one day!