Thursday, November 21, 2013

Microwaves and Alzheimers?

I have often wondered whether exposure to high doses of microwaves not only cooks your brain but also causes neuron faults that affect memory.

When microwave ovens first in the 1950s combined regular ovens and microwave ovens electricians who installed them sometimes died from being cooked by microwave radiation. Since people didn't know much about microwave ovens then this happened several times before enough safety devices were put into them and they were eventually separated from regular cook ovens to be the separate things they are today.

However, my concern is another thing. My question is: "If you stay too close to a microwave oven while it is cooking (within 5 feet) are you increasing your chances of eventually getting alzheimers when you get old by so doing?

So, whenever I use a microwave oven I often walk quickly away so I am at least 10 feet or more away when it is running. People feel microwaves are safe but they are not really unless you are far enough away when they are running. Also, newer microwave ovens use more microwave radiation to cook more quickly and this also could mean more radiation is getting outside the ovens when they cook.

Another factor is: I have friends who refuse to own a microwave oven because they say it reduces the nutritional value of what you eat so it nourishes your body less. So, sometimes having the convenience of a microwave oven might be reducing your lifespan. I have seriously considered getting rid of our microwave oven for some time now but for now at least my wife and daughter would likely complain about that to the point where it wouldn't be worth all the arguing about it.

However, when my daughter goes away to college next year I likely will get rid of our microwave to increase our healthy lifespans. I'm already 65 and at this point every year counts on a variety of levels regarding our happiness, our kids happiness and our new (as of next June) grandchild's happiness as we live longer more productive and useful lives for everyone.

No comments: