Saturday, December 27, 2014

If you can't laugh at the world and yourself you might not be around very long in a physical body

It's true that the world is very serious. However, when wasn't it a serious mess. It's just a different kind of serious mess than it ever was before. But, if you don't laugh at some of the craziness then you are missing out on the fun of being alive.

I have a friend that is now 71 and lives remote out in the woods in his home that he built by himself in the early 1970s. He is part of the local color now and has become sort of eccentric. Often he will entertain me with esoteric spiritual sayings and verses from various sources.

Today I said to him, "Yes. And Angels and fairies fly out of my ass!"

He and I started laughing and we must have laughed for 30 seconds to a minute at this. Then I said, "I basically believe 'I'll believe it when I see it!"

And he agreed with me and let down his spiritual structure in a moment of realization and laughter, zen style.

I went on to say that when I was raised by two Christian Mystic Ministers I saw many people die by believing they would be healed when they should have just gone to a doctor and had an operation or taken some kind of medicine. So, this made me cynical because many of these people were intelligent loving people who loved me and my family and just  thought too much like many people did back in the 1900s to 1950s to 1970s.

There is a limit to what a human body can survive no matter what you believe in and you better know what that limit is for you or you won't be alive or sane very long.

Laughter is the best medicine, used to be a section in the Reader's Digest that was very big when I was young growing up. Remember there was no Internet then and TV was only at most three channels, NBC, CBS and ABC then. So, things like a "Reader's Digest" and True magazine and Life and Look and Post magazine people waited with baited breath for and so did I in the 1950s and 1960s. Things moved forward very slowly then, not like now where everyone is sort of confused. Then there were many less confused people because mostly people only smoked cigarettes and drank alcohol. Drugs were very seldom seen if at all in white culture in the U.S. then. At least illegal ones.

So, every legal way to have fun was often exercised to the max so people could stand to be alive without becoming bored out of their minds then, especially young people.

So, learning to laugh at the world around you and seeing the seriousness as well as the joke of the paradox of life can often keep you alive for another day, another month, another year or a lifetime.

Don't forget to laugh. Laughter is very healing for us all.

In all this I really miss my Dad because he was the best at seeing what was funny in everything.

(Although it also helps to be valedictorian of your senior High School Class in all this too like he was).

No comments: