Tuesday, November 21, 2017

My parents and I drove a 1960 Mercury stationwagon

My friends and I on long trips through the deserts to go shooting, to panamint mountains (near Death Valley) and places like this would put the rear seats down which gave us about 7 feet of space with our feet forwards (in case there was an accident or dad stopped fast then) so it wouldn't break our necks we would lie down in the back and sing songs like "It's an Itsy bitsy teenie weenie polka dot bikini" that she wore for the first time today and laugh and laugh at the silliness of such songs and also "It was a one eyed one horned flying purple people eater!" and songs like this as we traveled to places throughout the southern California deserts and into Nevada.

After I passed the written test for my driver's license with a 100 score on the day I turned 16 this light blue 1960 Mercury station wagon was the first car I ever drove someplace alone in.

There were not bucket seats even in the front at this time for cars or trucks back this far so you would often slide across a seat as a driver or passenger if you took a corner too fast. One trick boys would use then was called "Come over darling" which was to make a really fast right turn to bring your girlfriend closer to you if she was sitting against the right window in the front of the car.

Bucket seats I believe really got going for the front seats of cars and became popular about when Mustangs first were made in 1964 by Ford. They were so popular then that Camaro (Chevrolet) and other car makers made similar cars by 1967. IN 1968 when I was 20 I bought a brand new 1968 Camaro. I wanted a used Porsche but found I was too tall for such a car at that time so I bought a new Camaro. My hair touched the ceiling but not my head so I was comfortable in a Camaro driving. I drove that one 145 miles an hour at one point. My  Camaro looked like this except it didn't have the rally stripes  or the rear fin and I had special wheels and extra wide tires for cornering on it as well.

But, as I drove up into the Mount Waterman area of the Angeles Crest Highway I wasn't watching close enough as the water coming down (rain) was slowly turning to snow. So, I went around a corner and suddenly did two 360s with the car with a 2000 foot drop on one side. Luckily I knew how to steer in a spin to survive this but I just barely did. I was so blown out I just slowly drove down back to Los Angeles after this after having almost died over a cliff.
Image result for metallic light blue 1968 camaro

No comments: