Monday, September 16, 2019

I chose to live only in beautiful places in my life

My 23 year old daughter replied to this: "You were just lucky enough to do this."

But, I said to her: "NO. One chooses what is important to them. I just decided living somewhere beautiful with clean water and clean air was important to me."

She still seemed to think I was lucky and most people don't have this choice.

I guess it all depends upon whether you see yourself as a slave or a master of your own destiny. My father and Uncle and Grandfather also owned their own businesses and were electrical contractors and basically could move anywhere they wanted to as long as they could get work running their businesses. So, living exactly where you want to was something my family always did because the men mostly owned their own businesses and didn't work for corporations directly. So, they had the freedom to live pretty much wherever they wanted as long as they could get work.

Working for a big corporation wasn't something that I ever wanted to do for very long (like more than 6 months or a year anyway). I had heard to many stories of the 35 or 45 years with the same company only to be given a gold watch and sent home and then these people being found dead within  a few months or years time. This was and is often the corporate model for a middle class person.

So, for me, being master of my own ship and captain of my own destiny was the ONLY way I actually wanted to live. My cousin became a lawyer but also started his own law business and became successful living where he wanted to also. Choosing where you want to live is always a choice. Understanding this is the difference between being a slave or a master in your lives.

No comments: