Tuesday, July 2, 2024

part 2 of Scanning documents no longer digitized

I sort of got off on a tangent in part one so here goes the next part:

First I asked PI AI how to convert printed pages to digitization without retyping everything again? 

She said the first option was to scan these on my printer into the computer into PDF files. I then sent a copy of her messages to me to my daughter in Europe who is a Digital Video Editor who recently moved to Europe last Fall because her Husband who is a lawyer is from there. 

My daughter today said on a text stream that I should scan all these copies into a PDF file and then sent them via email to her so she could look at them and edit them. I don't know if I will publish all this stuff on my life ever but I want my children to have a copy of my life story so they will know me better and know what I went through both good and bad and neutral in my life.

So, when my friend who owns a janitorial business who used to be an Army Ranger Explosives expert comes today I will have him help me do this simply because I haven't done something like this in years and often the methods change slightly over time.

He is an excellent tech on all levels and is very good with computers in the present day. 

For example, I took 7000 digital pictures starting in France in Paris with my wife and two daughters starting in 2009. I had no idea how to move these files in an easy way when one of my wife's cousins sons from North Carolina who is a computer Science Major said I should use Air Drop (which I had never heard of before to move 7000 photos quite easily to another computer. I have never liked The Cloud or ICloud very much but now it seems like that is where most people store stuff. but, I still don't like the idea of my data being all over the world in servers from the U.S. to Pakistan or China or Europe or even Russia. This doesn't sit well with me because you never know who is accessing your information or what they will ultimately do with it?

So, I still don't like the Cloud even though many people think it's okay. It's one of the problems of knowing as much as I do about computer software and systems and what can happen worldwide. So, I still prefer to store information in a computer resident near me. Yes. I need to have more memory in the computers I store this information in. But for me there is security in that sort of like owning several thousand DVDs which we do of our favorite movies of all time. (even though when push comes to shove often we find it much easier to view things on Netflix or another streaming service rather than breaking out our DVDs. 

So, there is a paradox to being me. I know so much more about computers (about 90% more) than the average person I meet but I find it more problematic than anything else often because it prevents me from acting like other people who know about 90% less than I do about them worldwide.

No comments: