Thursday, July 8, 2010

You're a Big and Funny Dude

The four or Five year old walked right up to me and said, "You're a big and funny Dude!" and I quickly replied, "Eventually we all become big and funny." So get ready kid. I felt no need to put him in his place, I had several grown kids of my own. When I told my wife about this she just about fell down laughing about it. I too, thought it was great! It's not often you get to laugh at yourself through the eyes of an innocent child. Even if his older brother who was 10 or 12 put him up to it it was still funny.

At the time I was at Castle Lake and struggling to get my blue Sevylor Colorado 500 pound load capacity ready for the water of Castle Lake. I was by myself and hoping I could launch this thing without any hitches by myself as it is sort of big and awkward to to this along with something this big on a 45 degree angle with little rocks trying to make you fall on your butt on the way to the water. And to top all this off 2 weeks ago I had one of my front teeth pulled so I wouldn't die from an absess eventually. It's ironic that about one year ago I had the prettiest smile of my life after getting all 6 of my upper teeth capped to perfection (about 7 to 9 thousand dollars) and this next year I had to have one of them pulled to save my life by an oral surgeon. Isn't life strange? So, hello Pirates of the Caribbean! Argh!

However, within a month after my absess is completely healed up I plan on getting a bridge made so I'm no longer appearing to miss a tooth. I also thought of having an implant like my son and cousin have done but after all the pain and bleeding of the absess I think I'll wait at least 1 to 5 years to do something like that. Just thinking about them drilling into my upper jaw and screwing and implant into the hole doesn't work for me now and might not for some time after what I've been through the last couple of months.

So, "Your and Big and Funny Dude" tells me that I'm still alive and did the right thing for myself and my family by having the tooth pulled. I'm still alive and kayaking on my favorite alpine lake on earth! Far out, Dude!

August 7th 2013:
It's several years later now and I had an implant put in. However, it was difficult and expensive. I realized that often front teeth are more problematic for having implants put in moreso than molars on the side are generally speaking. Also, I had a strange situation with my tooth next to my eye tooth and right next to my two front teeth where my tooth filled itself up with calcium at some point so it had no nerve at all left when the dentist drilled into it to find the nerve. So, all these changes made it more difficult for everyone to deal with. It took about 2 years for it to become something actually useful and no longer painful or problematic. So, was it worth it? I'm not sure. You know how somethings are just so difficult it is difficult to know at a certain point. Am I glad I have an implant? Yes. Was it a complete pain in the ass for about 2 years? Yes. So, please get a root canal if you can. However, my cousin is so happy with implants that he wishes all his teeth were implants. I beg to differ.

However, I do now have a literally $10,000 to $15,000 dollar smile for now. I never had movie star teeth before. At least on the upper ones that show when you smile.

No comments: