Thursday, July 29, 2010

Anne Rice's conversion

 Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity
Click "Novelist" above to read full yahoo news article.
Begin quote from article:
"In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control," the author wrote Wednesday on her Facebook page. "In the name of ... Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen." end quote from above article.

When I first read Anne Rice's stance I was a little horrified until I realized the main point of this is to get people to be tolerant of one another. For example, I believe that being Christian is something one does to include all mankind and not to exclude anyone. I don't think Jesus was interested in excluding people either. He was inclusive always and not exclusive in his thinking. So, for me to exclude anyone is to be unChristian. So to exclude any person or being from Christianity is to not be a Christian but to be an abomination of what Jesus meant in the first place. However, that's just me.

I believe that when you exclude any group of people from Christianity you have no business any longer calling yourself a Christian. I think this is the point Anne Rice is trying to make also.

No comments: