Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Eagle and Medicine Lake

Today was a day of many amazing experiences and of traveling roads not traveled for many years now. The last time I went to Medicine Lake it was in the 1980s. However, today we drove in from Lava Beds National Monument from a location near the visitor center there.

After 15 miles of mostly well maintained dirt and gravel road (it is paved in a few places) we reached Medicine Lake. When we drove down to the beach there was a golden eagle on the beach next to the water. When we got out of our car he took off and flew around above us and over the lake. At first we thought he was a buzzard (turkey vulture) but as he took off we knew he had to be an osprey or golden eagle. Finally, after getting a close enough look at his coloring we both realized he was a Golden Eagle. Later when I walked along the beach at Medicine Lake barefoot I saw the head of the fish he had been eating. He later came back for the fish head after I left the beach.

Visiting Medicine Lake and Lava Beds National Monument is something I have been dreaming about doing again for about 25 years now. So to see them both once again on the same day was a miracle. Once at Medicine Lake I found it was only 32 miles to Hiway 89 visiting Medicine Lake and Lava Beds and walking through lava tubes there it was wonderful to visit places I have always loved once again. By the way Hiway 49 I believe is paved now all the way from Medicine Lake to Hiway 89 which was really great. It is 32 miles from Medicine Lake to Hiway 89 near Bartle. Amazing day!

No comments: