Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: The Disney Movie

Disney almost always does things right. The movie I looked under Yahoo Users and they gave it an A- which very few movies get. The critics gave it a C which is what critics usually do with a movie like this. I was personally impressed with the dialog between Dave, the Prime Merlinian, the kid and his coversations with Balthazar of Merlin's time. The conversations will make sense to all practitioners of all paths. The element of seriousness is necessary whether you are becoming a physicist like Dave is or whether you are becoming a doctor or lawyer or other kind of healer or whatever discipline you are studying or becoming a practitioner in. And if you are serious, women are always a distraction no matter what you are studying to be even if they are wonderful. So, to make a long story short the movie is a fun ride for almost any age just like most Disney movies. If you are looking for something formidable like Pirates of the Caribbean this isn't it. But if you are looking for some great special effects and some great acting in a fun Disney movie this is it. The following in some ways has nothing at all to do with the movie.

I can remember back to my studying and trying to become a psychologist at age 23. I had finally decided what I wanted to be and was moving in that direction. But when I met my first wife at age 25 and she became pregnant and we got married I realized it was either going to be the wife and son or becoming a psychologist. It just wasn't going to work then to do both. So I became a father and a husband which  was probably the best decision of my life. When my son was born I felt like I was holding God in my arms and God taught me innocence and true power once again. To become a father is to experience a form of immortality through ones children if one is ready for it and luckily I was. So I gave up trying to become a psychologist ( but didn't give up  taking more college courses just not full time) and went to work to support the three of us. I learned around this time from reading "Autobiography of a Yogi" which is the life of Paramahansa Yogananda who came to the U.S around 1914 and stayed   a concept that I found useful. It was called "a Householder Yogi". What this meant was that your discipline (your spirituality) is developed by taking care of your family. It is a specific and joyful yoga and is a very quick path to enlightenment. I learned of Lahiri Mahasaya who was one of the foremost practitioners of this art and science. After becoming this I studied many other disciplines both spiritual and technical and they also became a part of being a householder yogi. I have never regretted this choice of family, marriage and becoming a householder yogi. It has been beautiful and very fulfilling for me. However, one must be sure it is your dharma to do this and be sure this is the right person if it is.  Life is a series of stepping stones taking us hopefully to enlightenment and a heaven realm. If this is your path to heaven then be sure to do it!

No comments: